Too soon to book a lesson?

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So today I rode sox in the school and out on a small hack for the first time In about 3 weeks . He was good as gold. But it got me thinking my schooling has gone seriously down hill. I am thinking of having a lesson with my RI but I don't think sox is that fit . I certainly aren't and I don't know if I am asking too much too soon.

Could you ask your RI to give you a lesson that allows for Sox's level of fitness? TBH just getting a horse to walk properly and do a nice circle or figure of eight and a few nice movements is a real skill, and often ignored. I think if you can get the basics right as you get him fit then you can naturally progress on to the quicker paces with the time getting him fit well used for both of you?

Could you ask your RI to give you a lesson that allows for Sox's level of fitness? TBH just getting a horse to walk properly and do a nice circle or figure of eight and a few nice movements is a real skill, and often ignored. I think if you can get the basics right as you get him fit then you can naturally progress on to the quicker paces with the time getting him fit well used for both of you?

Absolutely! When I'd had Raf shod for the first time I asked my RI for a 'low impact' lesson as he was getting used to his shoes. She gave me a whole lesson in walk. I've never ached so much after a lesson!

Glad Sox is feeling better :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I was in your position and I didn't book lessons, however I later regretted it. Do it, but be prepared to take regular breaks if you feel he needs them. I'd also not go hell for leather in the lesson and just take it study as others have said.

I thought I was having deja vu but I'm not, I really have seen this thread before!

As it is over 2 months old I think we should know ... did you book a lesson or didn't you??! :D

newrider.com