Took a Tumble off the Mounting Block

Kimo

Jan 12, 2006
Midwest, U.S.
www.4thehorses.com
How many of you have done this? Just ready to get on and the #@&*$$$ mounting block tips forward?? Then, you're flat on your back, the plastic mounting block is under your legs, and your horse is going the opposite direction!

Yes, I can admit--I was attempting to ride bareback so I had to put more effort in getting on. (I'm STILL thinking about that bareback thread from a few weeks back.)

I wish there was something more stable to mount from at this place. Our other stable had a mounting area that was built for therapy riding, so it was so easy to get on with steps, railing, and even another railing on the other side so your horse couldn't step sideways.

Ouch!

Our mounting block is massive but we still get folk strying to fall off it!

The only time I have been injured around horses was when I fell off the mounting block. Didn't even make it on the beast. How embarrasing. I damaged my shoulder, neck, spine, dislocated my elbow, tore a tendon in my knee, tore the cartilage in my knee and damaged some nerves in my spine. If I must have injuries can I at least get on the bloomin' horse first please!!!!!!! I had an ambulance, 2 paramedic cars and they were going to airlift me to the hospital but the helicopter was already out and they didn't want to wait.
I am very careful how I get on now....can't understand why can you?

C2B.... Oh... my... goodness...

And how did you recover? Are you okay now? That's terrible!

I feel a little lucky that I dropped her reins so I didn't scare her or pull her toward me, and then I rolled when I hit the ground, which is so unlike me that I can't believe it.

I'm sorry to hear of your accident! :( I have a feeling many injuries around horses happen around them, not when we're on them.

Crikey, c2b! :( I can just imagine trying to explain that at the hospital - they're probably used to people falling off after getting on the horse! Hope you're all okay now, though.

Kimo, I did once get pulled off a mounting block by a horse moving off when I was just putting my foot in the stirrup. In the end, I was lying flat on my back with the horse looking down at me going "what on Earth do you think you are doing??" :eek:

A girl in my riding lesson was slightly over-energetic when mounting her pony a few weeks ago, and jumped to get on from the mounting block (she's very short) and flew, literally, over the pony and landed on the floor the other side! Not funny at the time, but we all had a good laugh about it afterwards! :p

Sarah
xxx

PS. i know im not exactly a mature rider, but realised after i ha typed the post that it was in this section! :D

Modern plastic mounting blocks are dodgy. If the sand or ground under them is uneven, they wobble and you think, oh I cant be bothered to move this. Or you think(I do) I want to teach the mare to come to the block without my moving it - and then my teacher is not happy. I didnt realise you could get badly hurt. I will take more care in future.
re the bareback it is easier to get on from a fence. And facing the same way as the horse.

I agree with the probs with the plastic mounting blocks. This one also has a hinged lid, so if you weight toward your horse when you stand on the top, you're actually pushing on the hinge--and opening the lid!

This is why I fell off.

( I have a feeling many injuries around horses happen around them, not when we're on them.[/QUOTE]

Or, not even around them. I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this but am I the only person to have fallen off one of those saddle things they have in tack shops to try on body protectors. It was supposed to be fixed but this one wasn't and I just slid straight over the side of it. soooo humiliating but I did start giggling uncontollably as I drove away.

This is our mounting block, we get the horses to test drive it!

If they can stay on it we reckon folk can!;) ;)

Attachments

• iacs-up!.jpg
    iacs-up!.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 57
Hey KIMO it could of been worse. I know someone who mounted their horse and as they lunged themself over, the horse stepped to the left and the rider promptly flew over the other side and fell an a heap on the floor. All she was worried about was if someone had seen her.:eek:

Adam Goodfellow has been helping me with TC's mounting "issues" (he wouldn't stand still to mount) and he says that more riding accidents occur when mounting that at any other time.....

The ONLY mounting block that has been remotely of any use was formerly used for elephants at a circus....don't say it!

Wobbly plastic objects seem to be the usual prop, and I can't see how they inspire confidence!

brandy's mum said:
Or, not even around them. I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this but am I the only person to have fallen off one of those saddle things they have in tack shops to try on body protectors. It was supposed to be fixed but this one wasn't and I just slid straight over the side of it. soooo humiliating but I did start giggling uncontollably as I drove away.

I fell off of one while searching for a saddle. I was sitting in this saddle and when I went to get off I swung my leg over as if getting off a horse and flipped over the front. Knocked the "horse" down, too! They bought me a soda saying I was the only one who actually managed to bring the horse shaped block down with me. No damage done except to my pride at the time. But every horse person knows you gotta learn to laugh at yourself.

Sorry I couldnt help but giggle when I read your post as I have done the same thing a few times, once I was getting on my horse from a tall log (was riding bareback so literally was just lifting a leg over to get onto his back, and the horse shifted, I kept on sliding and landed on the side of my horse feeling like a right prat whilst my 'friends' and sister fell about laughing. My horse was just looking at me with a look of 'Why are you down there?' on his face.

On a more serious note, can you get a more steady one for where you ride or see if you can use another kind of block maybe ? :)

Go ahead and giggle, Ruskii. My husband waited until I stood up and then he burst out laughing. But he said I fell nicely, so I guess that made up for it:rolleyes:

Wally--yours looks like a nice, stable mounting block. But I think I could manage to fall off it!

This is the exact one I fell off--don't get it! That stupid cover is terrible and flips open when you weight to the far side:

http://www.statelinetack.com/global...141765036745&itemNo=1&In=Horse&N=2029077&Ne=2

In the outdoor, there's a fairly sturdy metal one, but it has these scary sharp ridges along the top, probably for traction, but they look like metal teeth. Plus, it's too high and I feel like I'm looming over the top of Mari like a beast.

Oh, she's just a little thing, maybe I can go back to mounting from the ground! Not that that's easy, but it's a little less complicated.

Me I've done it. With Rhi too who usually stands at the mounting block. I tried to get on her with a leap as she was not close enough. She moved I slipped and landed between her and the mounting block:D

newrider.com