Total panic, then blissful relief

I don’t call anyone initially for an abscess, just go about tubbing and poulticing to get it to pop naturally as I find they heal up far quicker and easier than if they’re dug at.
If after a week it hadn’t resolved I’d probably call my farrier.
My farrier was my first port of call, but he wouldn't touch her as she was lame.
She'd gone from slightly off in trot for the past month to overnight hopping in walk. So I did wonder if it was a ligament in the hoof.

Hope Hogan is ok, it must have been sore poor chap 😱
He's OK- pulled off my attempt at poulticing overnight. Put another on today, hope to hear from farrier tonight. At the moment he is just sulking because I've kept him in the paddock.

Mine is annoyed that I made her stand nicely so I could change the poultice when I know she's got a big ouchie. AND it's damp!!

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Farriers coming tomorrow. Will go up early to take off poultice, in case it's made his foot squishy with the heat etc. Means we'll know if there's unnatural heat from infection.

Reactions: Jessey
Dammit! He's got an abscess despite my best efforts. So, by 12 today I'm £48 down - 25 for farrier, 12 for animalintex, 6 for tape and 5 for tights (had to buy, because I don't wear them). Looks like he's bruised the sole on his other foot as well.😫. I feel terrible too, because I lost my temper and yelled at him while I tried to put the poultice on. He WOULD NOT put his foot down on the plastic square so I could tape it on. Hey ho - tomorrow is another day.

Sorry to read this. If it's any consolation, I think it took me until day three to actually get the knack of the doing it.
I have cut some of her feathers off, because it's just quicker and I won't run the risk of anything getting on the tape.
My tape was £7
Animalintex vet left me enough until the farrier comes. He's due anyway, already had that appointment.
I haven't had the bill for the vet.
Our bills could end up being the same?

Reactions: Huggy
At least the one I out on today has stayed. The farrier said to cut away the thick feather behind, on his heel. Did so and it is easier.

Reactions: Trewsers
We all have them days. Im sure in the long run he will thank you when hes feels better. They dont bare grudges like we do.

At least the one I out on today has stayed. The farrier said to cut away the thick feather behind, on his heel. Did so and it is easier.
I have posted a photo on my thread so she can what I have done.
I keep her short behind all year so I can keep the bulb dry.

Stated on overnight at least I have the proper tape now. Put him on the grass for a couple of hours, then filled a big bucket with fresh water (the trough is a bit murky) and brought him into the paddock with a mini wedge of hay. Too scared to leave him on the grass all day, after thinking it was laminitis.

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com