Totally over the moon!

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
I had a lesson today.....and OMG it was AMAZING!!!

I haven't been able to ride much at all during the week lately because the weather has been so grim but from last Friday I've been able to do a fair bit as it's all dried up a bit.

Bit of a long story short, Puzzle and I used to compete reasonably successfully at Novice level dressage before we decided to take a bit of a break and breed from her, this was quite a few years ago (baby will be 3 this year) and Puz is now 17. I've been trying to get her fit again for the last few months, was doing well up until Christmas but again the weather put a bit of a stop to that! I had recently been trying to get back into my schooling but everything just felt totally wrong with my position I wasn't even sure where to start putting it right. So started having lessons again with an instructor most people use on the yard.

Had our first lesson today in about 3 weeks and my position felt like it was back to being supple and light and so was Puzzle. Today was the first day in about 2 years that when I was riding, I felt that real connection that we were working 100% together. Puz was light off my leg, fab contact into my hand, bending beautifully. It was like being thrown back in time!

It sounds so sad but I could not stop beaming, I was so proud of her!!! We were such a good team for so long I was finding it so frustrating that because my riding was so out of practice (and Puz can't do it unless you get it really right) I felt like I was ruining it all every time I rode. So to have a ride like I did today was just AWESOME!!!!

I had set myself a target that by the end of this year I would be riding as well as I did before we bred from Puz and to have improved her schooling back to Novice level, you have no idea how I felt getting on today and having such a good ride! Has restored a bit of confidence in myself!!!

yay!!!

....cookies to anyone who got to the end of my ramblings! :)

I always think it's mad how a little tweak of your position or the loosening up of a stiff bit can make such a huge difference to your horse but it really does!

Hopefully now there will be no stopping you both regaining your former glory.

Look forward to updates & action shorts!

Thanks everyone! Doogie - tell me about it, most people would never believe that such tiny adjustments would make such a big difference but they really do. Also Puz is one of these ponies that you have to do everything completely right, then she gives you everything she's got...but get it wrong and she won't give you anything. Having said that I wouldn't change her for the world!

Hopefully I'll be able to get someone to take pics of me riding this weekend :)

newrider.com