Touchy belly

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I thought it might have been related to what was going on with Jess' saddle/back but over the last few months Jess has become touchy about her belly. It's not every day but some days she will threaten to bite/stamp back feet/tail swish as I do her rug up. She doesn't fuss being brushed but will if I put light but steady pressure on her flank with a flat hand on those days and it's both sides. She's not girthy and not misbehaving when ridden or grumpy at any other time and she's eating well/as usual.

I put her on protexin for a month with no difference. I had reintroduced alfa to her bucket feed several months ago, so I took that out about a week ago just in case but no change yet. I also haven't done a course of psyllium in a couple of months, a poo test didn't show much sand, but I am going to order some more and do that anyway. She is still in season, its been a rough year for those. It started just after she had the bad breathing/RAO episode, I wondered if it could be sore tummy muscles from tummy breathing when her airways aren't so great. Any thoughts or know of a good tummy settler/supplement? I will get the vet involved if needs be but could really do without a big bill at the moment.

This is quite an interesting one as my mare had been showing similar behaviours;

Most obvious behaviours (although not every day);
Protesting at rug changes
Not wanting to be groomed around her flank area
Sensitive over her back

Less obvious behaviours were:
Visually ok to be in work but a bit tight over her back and through her barrel
As time progressed, stamping her back leg down as she was trotting (in the way they do when they have a scratchy heel)
Intermittently difficult for yard staff to bring her to/from the field

It turned out to be stomach ulcers, which we are currently treating. When we had it diagnosed, the vet was saying that it has been an unprecedented year for them after the summer we’ve had, so it’s been an interesting one.

Not saying it would be something quite as serious with your mare, but thought it might be useful to mention?

Reactions: Jessey
This is quite an interesting one as my mare had been showing similar behaviours;

Most obvious behaviours (although not every day);
Protesting at rug changes
Not wanting to be groomed around her flank area
Sensitive over her back

Less obvious behaviours were:
Visually ok to be in work but a bit tight over her back and through her barrel
As time progressed, stamping her back leg down as she was trotting (in the way they do when they have a scratchy heel)
Intermittently difficult for yard staff to bring her to/from the field

It turned out to be stomach ulcers, which we are currently treating. When we had it diagnosed, the vet was saying that it has been an unprecedented year for them after the summer we’ve had, so it’s been an interesting one.

Not saying it would be something quite as serious with your mare, but thought it might be useful to mention?
That's definitely been in the back of my mind, Just really hoping it's not that. The summer didn't effect her as much as some others in belly terms, she's not on grass most of the year and on hay all the time so the drought/grass drying up wouldn't effect her.

newrider.com