towing a trailer

yam

Oct 20, 2007
england
can some one please tell me if I have passed my H.G.V Class 2 driving test, do I need a seperate test to tow a trailer,

It depends on your age I think. I didn't have to pass anything to tow a trailer but I am over 30! *whispers* :)

Yes, it's damn stupid.

You need a +E on your license to pull a trailer. Everyone starts off with a B.

To drive a non-articulated lorry up to 7.5tonnes you need a C1 license - costs about £1000+ for the training, provisional, medical and test and allows you to drive great big lorries but you're STILL not allowed to pull a horse box. It's stupid.

To be allowed to pull and trailer AND drive a lorry you need a C license (articulated lorry lisence). Unless you go for a seperate +E lisence and a C1 lisencse.

The old pre-97 license is eqivelent to a C1+E - you can drive a lorry up to 7.5 tonnes and pull a trailer.

HOWEVER, the exact wording of the B lisence says

Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle

Which is theory means you can pull up to 3.5 tonnes IF the trailer weights less than the car. So you can pull a trailer up to 1.75 tonnes with a car of 1.75 tonnes. In theory.

newrider.com