Towing to max of car?

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
I know a maker would say a car could tow a certain only if it could. But do you pull up to the max? Mine tows 2.2. Trailer is 1000 and robin 650. Which I am comfortable with. But would another pony at 450 be pushing it too close. They could easily weight a little more and put it to the max. We have a big hill up and down to the yard. The company would be lovely but I think I would be too scared.

I would say yes, too much. When you factor in the weight of the driver and passengers, fuel in the tank and any tack you have in the car. It's not worth the risk of the trailer pushing you down the hill and the car not being able to stop.

The weight in the car isn’t an issue. The weight the car can pull is 2.2. Rather than the overall weight of the car and trailer. Yes it is the thought of the trailer pushing the car down the hill more than pulling it back up. I just feel bad that my friend has to hire the yo trailer each time and so they can only do the odd outing. I’m going (hopefully) to a comp that they would like to too. Not that they are wanting me to take them. They have a new one on order so will just be for the winter.

There’s more than just the pulling weight involved - especially when you say you have a decent hill to negotiate.

1. Brakes on the tow vehicle for one thing. They are only made to service whatever the GVWR is on your vehicle. If you exceed that, you could be pushing your luck with stopping ablity.

2. Cooling system- same thing as the brakes- it is only designed to service and keep cool up to the maximum GVWR rating.

3. Then there is the excess wear and tear on the transmission if this were to become a habit.

I am learning that these things are done a lot different overseas than in the U.S. While many people here believe in towing a horse trailer with a truck that isn’t big enough to tow a trailer, the majority of folks use trucks.

My old truck is a modified 3/4 ton 4-wheel drive that could pull a small house off its foundation because I used to haul up in the mountains every chance I got. It has a braking system and a cooling system to support pulling a big stock trailer with four horses, plus all the food and gear for the riders and the horses for a weekend:)

So yes, I am nixing putting a second horse in your trailer:).

The manufacturer has tested everything and certified the vehicle for towing that weight, so theoretically it’s fine. But as a mechanic I wouldn’t routinely push a vehicle to its max, especially with the added challenge of big hills, but once in a while would be ok, just be sure to go steady.

The added weight of people, a full tank of fuel, tack etc would actually be a good thing, the concern with towing at max is that it’s difficult to stop and the trailer could push past the vehicle, extra weight in the vehicle helps minimise that risk, although it is extra strain on the engine.

I plan to buy a car with a 2.2t tow limit, similar in that the trailer is 1000kg, Niko will probably end up 530kg/Jess is 580kg, we live in a really flat area so I’d take both in an emergency or very locally, but I wouldn’t do long runs/motorways/hilly areas with both and routinely it would only be 1.

Reactions: Lollykay
Yep I have decided it is not a good idea. I had always used the excuse that I could only tow one to not take others which stops a whole lot of issues. It is a 4wd and does the job very nicely and never struggles (in fact there are 3 of the same on the yard) I just thought it might be nice to help my friend out. I just see another friend often towing to her cars max and wondering if I was being silly. I’ll stick to my original thoughts. I like having the back up knowing car is well within its limits and would worry thinking “it *should* be ok but what if it’s not?” Thanks all.

Reactions: Lollykay
newrider.com