Towing with a Hyundai

alwaysfallingof

Jul 17, 2004
London
Visit site
Does anyone have a Hyundai Santa Fe or Terracan that they tow with?

Now that I've passed my trailer test :)dance:) I'm looking to upgrade to a tow car in the next couple of months. I've narrowed my search down to looking at either Jeeps or Hyundai's (due to price mainly - I only have 5000 to spend and would rather a newer Jeep than an ancient Landcruiser or similar).
I'm really taken with the Hyundai's - you get a lot of car for your money, have good reliability reports and cheaper repair costs than most other makes.

Reports on using the Santa Fe for towing are varied - some people say they're fine, others that the car's not powerful enough. The Terracan OTOH is a beast of a car that would definitely do the job not many come up for sale.

Anyone have any reviews?

i dont tow but LOVE the santa fe (my budget only stretches to a hyundai getz at the moment!)! i know someone who tows with a kia sorrento which is very similar

trouble with the santa fe's is they can only tow 2200kg max, so even with an ifor you'd have to downrate the trailer. My friend has a terracan and it's a GORGEOUS car! it's my top pick for a next car and parkers rate it highly for purchase second hand and as a tow car for horse trailers. My friends loves hers, tows her own big beasts around and her grand kids to PC. She's had it 4/5 years now and never a complaint about it.

Thanks for the replies. That was my worry about the Santa Fe EB, even if I did go through the hassle of getting a trailer downgraded the possibility of being just 'borderline legal' scares me. I'd far rather have a monster truck that could tow an elephant than worry about having a car that's only JUST able to do what I'm asking of it.

I don't understand why you don't see more Terracan's around - ok they're not the most beautiful cars but they have as much power as a defender and are about half the price, with a better reliability rating! Are there really that many badge snobs around?

"that many badge snobs"

You've hit the nail on the head!! Hubby has the Hyundai Coupe on an 07 plate - very nice car, quite fast, handles really well and is good fun to drive but most people would over look it because of the badge!:banghead:

someone acvtually stole the bagde of the front of my little hyundai :stomp: still baffled as to why! like rappers with VW and Mercedes signs round their necks .... but a HYUNDAI?!!

Are you going to be towing a big horse or two big horses???

I mean what are you going to be towing?? What model of trailer do you have??? What are your plans for the car??? Have you looked at all the tax and the rising costs of fuel to actaully run the car when not towing??? Have you looked at the cost of the size of tyres that you will need and how expensive the part are should things go wrong???

Only reason I am asking is that things go Boobies up occasionally, its over 400 quid for us to put 4 new tyres on our Xtrail and thats 17 inch with good grips for towing (pirellis), we too out a warranty on our car with a third party company and its saved our asses once before when several things went BANG all at the one time.

I tow Kia or Eowyn with my Xtrail rated 173 HP so 2200kgs towing max and I tow max 1500kgs most of the time. So there is no need for me to buy a big gas guzzling monster and I have heard people rave about the santa Fes and how economical they are, unless you need a big car i would find one who will give you a bit of leway but not rip the bum out of your pocket, they are expensive to run these days :)

I kind of look at it the other way. You are far more likely to have car trouble if you are working your car at its limit by towing close to the maximum weight, so by getting a more powerful car I am theoretically (and I know I could be unlucky) reducing the chances of having to pay a big bill because I've made my car go bang.

I would usually just be towing my boy (a very solid 15.1 Sec D) but I would probably want to take him and my friend's horse (17.1 warmblood) out occasionally and don't want to have to start weighing every horse to check I'm still legal. I haven't bought a trailer yet but again I'd rather have one that's a bit heavier purely from a safety point of view.

And yes, I have looked into the mpg I can expect, cost of parts, tax and insurance rather than going 'ooooh, that one looks pretty, I think I'll have one of those' :wink:

What trailer do you tow that means you can have a MAM of 1500kg?

Julia - LOL! I can just imagine some guy walking around with your Hyundai badge round his neck :tongue:

spoke to my pal and mpg is a bit pants but i think if you aren't doing too much mileage (like my pal) it's a great car :) reliability is good aswell.

I agree hyundais are underrated. A work mate has the i20 (think that's what it's called?) and it's a super wee car. I did a search on autotrader last night and there do seem to be more on the market than when i was looking a few years ago so i think maybe with the after effects of the recession people are getting rid for something more economical? and if you go to a dealer they'll try to track you one down. My dad was looking for a new (as in new to him, but 1-2 year old used) car and several of the big dealers were prepared to locate and ship his chosen car to the local dealer for him to try, no commitment required.

I kind of look at it the other way. You are far more likely to have car trouble if you are working your car at its limit by towing close to the maximum weight, so by getting a more powerful car I am theoretically (and I know I could be unlucky) reducing the chances of having to pay a big bill because I've made my car go bang.

And yes, I have looked into the mpg I can expect, cost of parts, tax and insurance rather than going 'ooooh, that one looks pretty, I think I'll have one of those' :wink:

What trailer do you tow that means you can have a MAM of 1500kg?

I tow a 505 hunter 905kgs empty 500kgs sec d x then water and tack:wink: that's not the mam the full capacity of my trailer is 2348kgs as stated on the plate :smile:

No need for the sarc above it's just some people go I want a monster tow vehicle then woopsie cost start mounting:wink:

With a max tow weight of 2200kgs for my car I doubt I am near the limit towing 1500kgs :smile:

I wouldn't buy a car just so I could occasionally tow. Friend I have to say I am fairly selfish now and do things for me that I can afford before calculating cost totake other ppl :smile:

Just some advice from someone who's been there when researching cars and is currently researching a new one :biggrin:

No need for the sarc above it's just some people go I want a monster tow vehicle then woopsie cost start mounting:wink:

Just some advice from someone who's been there when researching cars and is currently researching a new one :biggrin:

What she said :) - advice worth listening to. Unless you are desperate to waste money...

newrider.com