Towing with a Toyota Hilux

james

Oct 9, 2001
Visit site
Has anyone towed a trailer with a Toyota Hilux? I was thinking of getting an imported Hilux Surf to tow my horse (15'3 IDx) in a trailer.

We have a Toyota Forerunner which I think is the non import version of the surf to tow our Ifor 510 and have found it great to tow with and a really solid reliable car. (It is also for sale much to my OHs distress ;) )

We have a Toyota Forerunner which I think is the non import version of the surf to tow our Ifor 510 and have found it great to tow with and a really solid reliable car. (It is also for sale much to my OHs distress ;) )
How much you selling it for?

Probably one of the most popular 4WD's down here! My dad has owned 2, his new one is a 2002 and they both tow great. When I have saved enough money to buy my own tow vehicle the Hilux is definitely a car I will consider!
Did you guys see the Top Gear episode where they immersed one in water, set it on fire, and finally blew up a building with it on top? And it STILL started? Great cars! :D

Probably one of the most popular 4WD's down here! My dad has owned 2, his new one is a 2002 and they both tow great. When I have saved enough money to buy my own tow vehicle the Hilux is definitely a car I will consider!
Did you guys see the Top Gear episode where they immersed one in water, set it on fire, and finally blew up a building with it on top? And it STILL started? Great cars! :D
I saw that and also remember from the news that the Taleban in Afghanistan and militias in Somalia often chose the Hilux as their "technicals" (e.g. RPG mounted on the back), so they must be robust and easy to maintain.

It was also a Hilux that Jeremy Clarkson used to create his amphibious vehicle (the "Toybota") - it worked brilliantly until he went too fast round a corner and the whole thing sank. But it is Top Gear's indestructible car, so is a pretty good car even if it's rubbish at towing (no experience of towing myself so can't comment there).

But it's not rubbish at towing! Who said that?
Just thinking back, even Woody's owner has a Hilux diesel and it tows her two massive hunters over mountains, along the flat, everywhere that a hunt is on!

Nobody did! I just have no idea if it's any good for towing or not - but it's certainly a good car for doing things that don't involve towing. Make sense? :)

If you're buying an import, avoid the 2.4 engine like the plague! It WILL blow up on you and will cost a fortune to repair.

Here is what Honest John has to say:

What's Good
Good looking non UK market 4-door utility SUV 4 independently imported in quite big numbers. 3 litre turbo diesel or 3 litre V6 petrol. 3.0 litre from about 1995 on seems to be best engine. All versiona manual or auto. All imported Hilux Surfs equipped with aircon as standard.
Very reliable as long as serviced properly with particular attention to cooling system. Hilux Surfs have massive UK fanbase, and one of the best forums to ask further questions is www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums Sources include www.aecapel.co.uk, www.japanesecarimporters.com, www.delceimports.com, www.bristolimportsdirect.net and www.rotherhamtradeandsave.com

What's Bad
2.4 engine prone to cylinder head problems. High prices asked for 10 - 12 year old vehicles.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm

EDIT: Forgot to add - There is a guy on Ebay who imports and modifies the Hilux Surf. When I was looking at them just over a year ago, he has some very nice trucks and the prices were incredible. I can't remember the name but search Ebay for 'Hilux Surf' and I'm sure you'll find him.

Last edited:
We looked at one this summer, I'm sure it will tow brilliantly. What put me off them was the length, the one we looked at was longer than all the other long wheel base 4x4's, and the drivers seat, it was very low and I felt as though I was lying down, rather than sitting - but I am only 5 2". The back door arrangement was weird too, if I remember correctly it had to be opened from inside and the window and the door were separate, but I'm sure the salesman said that the newer ones were different.

We eventually bought a long wheel base, automatic Pajero, which is brilliant, pulls our trailer with both mine in, and you can hardly feel a difference. The only thing I don't like about it is, that it has 'Buttocks Ski Club' transfer on the back window which proved to much of a problem to remove, so we have to live it, which does attract attention at times;)

Good luck

I think post M reg 2.4 engines don't have the same cylinder head problem (we were looking at them for most of last year).

As far as I know they are great cars but just a few words of warning ........

If you are going for an import please buy one that has been already landed in this country. Loads of scammers will sell you car thats not even on the boat and then land you with all import taxes etc as it lands ( mostly 6 weeks after purchase)

If it has been converted to miles from Kms then make sure you get a mileage doc , to verify the mileage on the change. It is VERY easy to clock import cars, as most of them have little or no service history when arriving.

Good luck with finding one and if you need any help on the import side give me a PM as I work in the business.

Helen x

We also have a Toyota Forerunner which tows two big horses no probs. We were also warned to stay well away from the 2.4s due to the head gasket probs.:)

I thought it might be ok to put this feel free to delete mods

As some of you know soon we are relocating to life on board a boat.

Sooo things are going!

We are selling our Toyota hi-lux 4-runner ( Uk Version)

its a 3.0TD

It has 140k but has a full service history ( toyota main dealer ) from new and has been in the family from new

Its a N reg

recently used for trip from cumbria to Dorset runs like a dream

PB280002.jpg

Full electrics inside

Full Twin electric Towbar

12months MOT

PM me!

For a single horse and a not overly heavy trailer you should be fine, just make sure you do your sums.

The Hiluxs that I've come across have all had a towing capacity of about 2250kg if I recall correctly. Obviously this is quite a bit less than the 3500kg of the defenders and troopers, but if you only want to tow a single horse in a small trailer it would be sufficient.

newrider.com