Tracking down a trimmer

horsey_jo

Sep 25, 2008
Hello!

I have just bought an arabian gelding who has been barefoot all his life but I have moved into a yard of fully shod sport horses so I need to find a trimmer!

Where do I start looking? I'm not sure I'm keen to get the normal farrier to do it.

Any thoughts? :confused:

a normal farrier, is just as good at trimming (if not better) as a barefoot trimmer- the shoes dont level the foot up, they have to trim and then put shoes on!

you can qualify to be a trimmer in a matter of weeks, it takes years to be a farrier.

Go to www.naturalhoofcare.co.uk to get Alicia Mitchell, she is absolutely brilliant, just have a look at the case studies, my boy Clint is on there!

Me and Pablo are in the comments and refs:D

Alicia is brilliant has made a huge difference to Pabs feet from when i had the farrier-Trimmers do a totally different kind of trim having watched a 2 farriers trim Pablo and then Alicia:D

She is very knowledagble and explained to me all how the hoof works its amazing ;)

Most reputable trimming courses take a year or more to complete, not a few weeks. Go with whoever is good and is recommended by others in your area rather than what exactly they call themselves.

a normal farrier, is just as good at trimming (if not better) as a barefoot trimmer- the shoes dont level the foot up, they have to trim and then put shoes on!

you can qualify to be a trimmer in a matter of weeks, it takes years to be a farrier.

Not quite true - I think trimmers have to do more to enable them to work on other peoples horses. Also, trimmers (certainly Equine Podiatrists) have to have ongoing training to remain on the list, but a farrier, once qualified doesn't have to do anything else unless he/she chooses to.

I also had a problem with traditional farriers, went through five before I gave up and learned myself.

Every one of them trimmed to put a shoe on (leaves the hoof flat, and pares away the frog). There is a big difference between a barefoot trim, and a shoe trim. A barefoot trimmer will tell you that, a farrier will just look at you odd.

I did run into a fellow this summer that knew the difference and did an exceptional barefoot trim as well as full farriery work. Unfortunately he doesn't come to my area. :(

Last edited:
If the horse has always been barefoot, I have found farriers are fine at maintaining the good shape. If the horse has shoes that are removed then I would always prefer an EP because of the transition process they need to go through.

newrider.com