Tracking up!

Drummers mum

I love my pony!
Feb 1, 2004
Stratford-on-Avon
Visit site
Drummer is working well in walk, drops his nose and tracks up nicely but once we get to trot its a different matter.

He did have a sore pelvis for a while (bowen lady sorted it) but he is still stiff on the left rein and doesn't relax, right is better but he still doesn't track up and kind of drags his back end along (on the forehand??)

He also only ever canters right lead, if he does go off on the left, he does one lurching stride puts his head down and breaks into trot!

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it will be of any use but you could try some of the ideas raised in the 'How do I help him relax' post.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

A few things to consider
- he's still sore, I'm a bit skeptical of Bowen and would get a good physio to check him out thoroughly.
- he's not sore but remembers the soreness and\or has become used to this way of going to ease the soreness and now it's a habit\posture you'll have to realign
- it's your riding, we get into bad habits - particularly if you horse has a problem at some stage. I know I have been through the whole 'my horse is stiff on the right rein thing' - turns out I was causing the problem to continue long after he was sorted out
- saddle check time

Thanks both of you, I had a look at the relax thread, its very interesting!

I am already panicing that he has done some damage again, but it could just be the hard ground, I am going to long rein him today and see if it could be me putting him off too! I can watch his movement then too!

newrider.com