Tracking Wild Mustangs [Lots of Pictures]

Praecelsus

Jan 1, 2006
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hello all, sorry it's been so long since I've last posted. Hopefully this will make up for it! :)

I've been out a few times looking for herds of wild mustangs, and I hit the jackpot today. I found not one, but three separate herds of mustangs and one bachelor.

My plan is to go out to this area once a week and photograph them and document them. More for myself than anything as I find them fascinating, but I'll be starting a blog about their adventures too.

So first I came across a two year old bachelor I've since called Red, looking quite dishevelled and thin with fresh scrapes on his back. I'd estimate he was run out of his herd sometime in the last few days. He was very nervous but still came close enough for some photos.

7004413085_2b4f46b005.jpg

Cautiously moving closer to get a better look at us.
7004413095_562931192e.jpg

Getting braver; this is as close as he came, about 5 feet from me.
7004413101_8d5ec95329.jpg

Looking West, towards where another herd had travelled. The herd I believe he's come from.
7004413099_c9e91ba1e3.jpg

So after taking a lot more photos of Red I moved on, further in the mountains and about three miles away I came across another herd I've called the Plains Herd. This one had three mares, two yearlings and a stallion.

A very bold yearling filly I've named Flicka was the first to greet me, with dominant body language which I put and end to. Once I'd squared up to her for invading my personal space she was incredibly friendly even letting me scratch her withers while she investigated my camera.

7004413111_d834fc026f.jpg

Interestingly, the mare to the right of Flicka is the image of my Freya. I've decided to call her Noss, which means 'daughter of Freya'.

An out of focus close-up of Noss, but I thought she was too cute not to include it.
6858426414_fae4963936.jpg

Noss grazing
6858479450_a5a8390a3d.jpg

Noss saying 'hello' to my sister.
7004722321_851432106f.jpg

Noss and Loki (yearling colt)
7004548433_ab1962c99a.jpg

Loki sleeping in the sun
6858483428_5c106040b4.jpg

Flicka now with her Mother, The Nightingale (lead mare to Sable). This picture sums them up very well. Flicka had just wandered past me and is looking back as though to say 'are you coming?' Her lower lip is drooped, showing she is nice and relaxed as her Mother grazes some feet away.
7004548431_c2b1654ac8.jpg

Sable himself, Stallion of The Plains herd.
7004548423_33f8006cb5.jpg

Not far away from the Plains Herd, I found another herd which was very small (The Bantam Herd). It compromised of Hobo, a mare and last year's filly.

Hobo is a very friendly stallion allowing me to scratch his withers. He has a very small herd (The Bantam herd), compromising only of one mare and a yearling filly. All of whom are not as plump as the Plains herd. Hobo's herd have no doubt been chased off the greener pastures by Sable's Plains herd. Out of the three herds I saw, they were definitely lowest on the pecking order.

7004548391_3f609ec320.jpg

Hobo with Lylah behind him
7004746975_0d26b6603c.jpg

I have a lot more pictures to go through, so will try and update with pictures of Hobo's little herd. I'm back out there again on Friday and will try and get photographs of the third herd, the Cold Creek herd who have the most dominant stallion in the area. All of them are very fat and happy, having the territory that encompasses a very small town and the people who live there feed them.

I've started a Twitter and Flickr account for the horses if anyone would like to follow the updates. Larger images of the ones above are all on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78219273@N03/

https://twitter.com/#!/MustangNic

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow.

How far do you have to travel from home to see the herds?

Think I need to add this to my bucket list - go to Nevada, see mustangs and amazing scenery.

Really looking forward to the next update.

OH wow Nic ...... that is just an extra ordinary experience isn`t it, your sister must have been as thrilled as you were.

Lovely, lovely photo`s, i bet you wanted to take Noss and Loki home with you :wub:

Wow. Just wow.

How far do you have to travel from home to see the herds?

Think I need to add this to my bucket list - go to Nevada, see mustangs and amazing scenery.

Really looking forward to the next update.

About an hour North of the city. I had ben looking too far East previously although if I'd gone a bit further East and South, there are another couple of herds there.

Those guys are on protected land and the local town are very protective over them.

I've only got a basic lens on my camera so I'm hoping to get a better one soon for some better shots.

Last edited:
OH wow Nic ...... that is just an extra ordinary experience isn`t it, your sister must have been as thrilled as you were.

Lovely, lovely photo`s, i bet you wanted to take Noss and Loki home with you :wub:

Ooooh definitely :bounce:

Noss was so friendly, none of the other mares came close to me and Sable stayed up on the hill.

Really cannot believe that I scratched the withers of a wild mustang yesterday and had a cuddle with Hobo, a wild stallion. :inlove:

Amazing. I look forward to hearing more from you. What exactly are you documenting and what are you hoping to get from it?

Nothing specific, I's just like to see how their herds evolve and see if I can get to know any of their personalities. I'm very interested in Red, he was much bigger than Sable or Hobo so it'll be interesting to see if he finds some other bachelors to join up with or if he takes a mare for himself.

A couple of the mares are pregnant, so I expect that I'll be seeing foals soon. There is still some snow on the ground so I think maybe in a month or two.

Hobo was trailing Sable's herd, about half a mile behind him, so I'm wondering if he's going to try and take another mare or if maybe Sable has taken one of his mares. Willow is the only mare without a yearling at foot.

I've taken pictures of all their markings and will take a notebook out with me to note things down.

Fascinating :) I'm surprised at how close you're able to get to them, and even touch them, I'm guessing they must be quite used to humans. I'd be very curious to see a few shots of their feet if you get the chance, desert mustangs are supposed to have the best foot nature can make, it would be interesting to see if this bears up :)

Fascinating :) I'm surprised at how close you're able to get to them, and even touch them, I'm guessing they must be quite used to humans. I'd be very curious to see a few shots of their feet if you get the chance, desert mustangs are supposed to have the best foot nature can make, it would be interesting to see if this bears up :)

They have amazing feet, I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow for you. Three came close, the rest were understandably distant.

Amazing! Thank you. I love wild herds, it really interests me too. The stud I worked at used to run the stallions with the mares and foals I used to just sit and observed them for years and years just wonderful to watch them being horses! :inlove:

Exactly this, the way they interact is amazing. :) I missed getting a picture of Sable rounding up his herd, snaking his head to the ground and nipping some on the backside.

Thanks everyone for the lovely posts. I bought a new lens today and did a short jaunt about 10miles from my house and photographed some wild burros. I'll get pictures of them up soon.

Excited to try and find the horses again tomorrow. It's so peaceful up there, I just bring some sandwiches for my lunch and the only sound is the horses and the rare car going past on it's way to the town.

Burros today...

Stallion
7007509935_5592efea84.jpg

Like Father like son! Stallion teaching his colt foal what to do. :giggle:
7007509939_2814f531f9.jpg

Burro family, Stallion mare and foal.
7007509947_97a11a3d7e.jpg

Two mares and foal
7007509957_fb036118cb.jpg

Stallion again, sadly out of focus.
7007509929_58f1d47209.jpg

newrider.com