Tractor action!!!

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
:eek::eek::eek:

Mac, my share horse is pretty much bombproof, as good as you can get... except he hates tractors...cue spinning and trying to head for home etc

I have been riding him for nearly a year and not come across a tractor.. until today.

It was really hot today so I thought I would just take him out for a wee hack. He was so slow snails and tortoises would have overtaken us! I can't really complain, he was flat out, snoring and dreaming when I arrived at the yard!

Anyways, there is a farm track that runs parallel to the road the yard was on and I could hear that there was something heavy en route.
The roads join up so I thought that if it was a tractor I would rather be in front of it so we got a wriggle on and as I reached the meeting of the roads, I realised it was a tractor.

I gestured to the tractor driver to cut the engine but he didn't so I had to take Mac into a car park to let the tractor past.

How glad am I that we met the tractor at that section of road where I could get him out the way! Mac didnt bother at all :)

I am so glad that I have now faced that as I was always worried as to how I would deal with it even though I have been told what to do.

Thanks for reading my long story about .... well not a lot!! :D

That's a nice summer story! Glad you got Mac to a safe place and he was ok - I'm really dreading the first time we meet a tractor out on a hack. They don't tend to show any consideration for horses round here!

So am I!

I was warned about his fear of tractors and spinning when I first starting riding him but through all ours ups and downs, we had not come across one.

I'm glad that I have now though I'm not convinced he even noticed it! I think his problem is more when meeting one face on.

Rafi seems to be a fairly sensible chap so I look forward to reading about your first " I met a tractor today" post ! :)

Archie has a fear of tractors so I feel your pain! - Shame the driver didnt cut his engine for you but lucky that you could stand in the car park and let the tractor pass

Archie and I were "chased" down a single track road last summer by a tractor - he panics even more now when he hears one:mad:

Yeah, I'm so glad I could get out it's way!

Thats awful what happened to you. How inconsiderate :mad:

Feel free to bring any tractor-haters to our farm. Not only do we have tractors and other machinery of all sizes moving around the yard (we have the diesel tank, so my hubby/employees and all the contractors are regularly there filling up) and in the local lanes, but there are also loads of tractors etc from all the neighbouring farms.

Frayne used to hate any large vehicles, would spin etc when we met something and I didn't get off. However, she trotted down the lane this week when my hubby came up behind us on a particularly scary machine with a front bucket on, and then stood quietly in a gateway whilst he went past.

Most tractor drivers are great and will stop/turn off engine etc - but we do get a few who rush past on the faster roads (most of our roads are so narrow, that they HAVE to stop!).

Ali xx

Daaughters pony doesn't like tractors, huge lorries, motorbikes etc, fine.

Have tried getting him used to them, happy if they are in next field, or if engine turned off will try to eat them, but on the road poops himself.

newrider.com