Trailer VS 3.5T Lorry....whats cheaper?

I have no doubt longer distances are infinitely more comfortable in a lorry. However, we only go locally, probably a couple of up the road max.

I think Vicky has split up with her OH and is possibly looking for the cheaper option.

Thanks everyone, not going to make any rushed decisions as I adore my little lorry and worked bloomin hard to buy it !

Think im going to keep it for another 6 months and see if I can get the confidence to get out and enjoy it more, if not then I will sell and just hire when I fancy :) decisions decisions hate them haha!

Reactions: Gimp
[QUOTE="sjp1, post: 2935391, member: 29942]
Edited to add, there are plenty of 4x4's that wouldn't cost you 15k to buy. I own a Ssanyong Rexton which is perfectly capable of towing 3.5 tonnes, and even OH who is a sheep farming Landrover owning man, is sure that the Ssanyong would tow equally as well as the Landrover. The reason I don't have a hitch on the Ssangyong is because we change the Landrover every year and its less wear on my four wheel drive.

The Ssanyong cost me £8k and it was less than three years old when I bought it. New, it is 24k.[/QUOTE]

From a financial point of view, yes I agree that 4x4 costs vary considerably. I leave all the car stuff to my husband who claims to be knowledgeable on this, but he maintains that you pay for what you get. For us, we needed a reliable family car and he wasn't prepared to compromise on the quality - hence having a £15k price range for a similar 4/5 year old much smaller car.

He does agree that the SsangYong Rexton does have good towing ability but apparently it is 'one of the most ugliest things on the planet' - his words not mine!

My calculations were purely for my family only - of course costs can vary hugely.

[QUOTE="sjp1, post: 2935391, member: 29942]
Edited to add, there are plenty of 4x4's that wouldn't cost you 15k to buy. I own a Ssanyong Rexton which is perfectly capable of towing 3.5 tonnes, and even OH who is a sheep farming Landrover owning man, is sure that the Ssanyong would tow equally as well as the Landrover. The reason I don't have a hitch on the Ssangyong is because we change the Landrover every year and its less wear on my four wheel drive.

The Ssanyong cost me £8k and it was less than three years old when I bought it. New, it is 24k.

From a financial point of view, yes I agree that 4x4 costs vary considerably. I leave all the car stuff to my husband who claims to be knowledgeable on this, but he maintains that you pay for what you get. For us, we needed a reliable family car and he wasn't prepared to compromise on the quality - hence having a £15k price range for a similar 4/5 year old much smaller car.

He does agree that the SsangYong Rexton does have good towing ability but apparently it is 'one of the most ugliest things on the planet' - his words not mine!

My calculations were purely for my family only - of course costs can vary hugely.[/QUOTE]

Do you know, I really couldn't care less what your husband thinks about my vehicle.

Vicki was asking for information on the cheapest way forward. Not the prettiest vehicle or the nicest box, and that was the answer I gave her.

A very tiring thread and one I am withdrawing from.

Reactions: Gimp
Do you know, I really couldn't care less what your husband thinks about my vehicle.

Vicki was asking for information on the cheapest way forward. Not the prettiest vehicle or the nicest box, and that was the answer I gave her.

A very tiring thread and one I am withdrawing from.

So sorry - didn't mean to upset or offend you. My husband is very particular about his cars and has very set ideas about what he likes/doesn't like. Please don't be offended that he doesn't like you car - he doesn't like many cars and as you say, who cares what he thinks anyway?

Hi Guys

I am having a long hard think about selling my little 3.5t lorry and getting a trailer instead....

Just wondered if I could have some rough prices of keeping a trailer per year?? do you have to have them serviced yearly etc?

My current situation is this.....just wondered what you guys would do in my position!

Car - very economic 1.3l Suzuki Jimny, doesn't cost much in fuel, tax or insurance. On a Week day I don't drive far at all.....yard twice a day (2 mile from home) and I walk to work.
Weekends i usually cover 20-40 miles per day as i like to go out exploring with the pooch.

Lorry - 3.5t Ford Transit type L Reg, super reliable, has never skipped a beat, low mileage, good condition etc Just been MOT'd (Had new breaks, pads and hoses) previous to this has passed MOT every time since ive owned it. Also has just been fully painted and taxed.
Since moving to a yard with a school at the beginning of this year i have hardly used it, i have gone out in it around 7 times since Jan. Also since splitting up with my partner (Who used to come out with my in the lorry everytime i drove it) i have lost all confidence going out in it, i cant do the ramp alone as it is heavy and im only 5 foot, so i end up spraining my wrists each time i try to use it. I have also no confidence driving it anymore, but will happily drive a car all day long.

It costs me £450 to insure every year, £220 ish to tax for a year, £110 break down cover per year....and have just spent £500 on the MOT works.

I just can't help thinking this is a lot of money for something i have barely used?

But i still want the freedom of being able to go out when i fancy....

So i was thinking sell both the car and lorry.....upgrade the car, take trailer test and then buy a trailer?
Thoughts?

Also what are the rough costs for towing lessons and test? (I have new type license so cannot tow without the test)

Hey there,

It sounds like you're in a bit of a dilemma about your transportation setup, and it's totally understandable given your situation. Here are some thoughts to consider:

1. Trailer Costs: Owning a trailer can be a smart move in the long run, but it does come with some upkeep costs. You'll need to budget for annual servicing to keep it roadworthy, which usually runs a few hundred pounds per year.
  2. Towing License: If you're thinking of towing a trailer with your upgraded car, you'll need to pass a towing test. The cost of lessons and the test itself can vary, but setting aside a few hundred pounds for it should cover you.
  3. Choosing the Right Vehicle: While your Suzuki Jimny is great for everyday use, make sure it's up to the task of towing a trailer comfortably. Check its towing capacity and suitability for your needs.
  4. Personal Comfort: Your confidence and comfort behind the wheel are crucial. If you're feeling unsure about driving the lorry alone or handling the ramp, it might be worth exploring other options that feel more manageable for you.
Ultimately, the decision to sell both the car and lorry, upgrade the car, and invest in a trailer depends on what works best for you. If you need more advice on towing or want to know more about the licensing process, consider reaching out to local driving schools for guidance.

Hey there,

It sounds like you're in a bit of a dilemma about your transportation setup, and it's totally understandable given your situation. Here are some thoughts to consider:

1. Trailer Costs: Owning a trailer can be a smart move in the long run, but it does come with some upkeep costs. You'll need to budget for annual servicing to keep it roadworthy, which usually runs a few hundred pounds per year.
  2. Towing License: If you're thinking of towing a trailer with your upgraded car, you'll need to pass a towing test. The cost of lessons and the test itself can vary, but setting aside a few hundred pounds for it should cover you.
  3. Choosing the Right Vehicle: While your Suzuki Jimny is great for everyday use, make sure it's up to the task of towing a trailer comfortably. Check its towing capacity and suitability for your needs.
  4. Personal Comfort: Your confidence and comfort behind the wheel are crucial. If you're feeling unsure about driving the lorry alone or handling the ramp, it might be worth exploring other options that feel more manageable for you.
Ultimately, the decision to sell both the car and lorry, upgrade the car, and invest in a trailer depends on what works best for you. If you need more advice on towing or want to know more about the licensing process, consider reaching out to local driving schools for guidance.
This thread is from 2014, so I’m sure they made their decision a long time ago.

newrider.com