Training aids

ah yes but im not talking about a foal - i was talking about a grown, blank canvass unhandled horse that you wish to begin training. There are too many variables with the items we use for every day handling as opposed to actual training aids which can be applied to a specific scenario.
Foal or 5 year old, the same applies :) A halter is applied to a specific scenario, you want to control the horses movement and restrain him from moving in a direction you don't want him to do. All mine are taught to lead without a halter (lead off a chunk of mane) regardless if I get them at 6 months or 6 years, would I do it down a main road, hell no, it is much harder to maintain control without a long rope and something easily gripped. I do it all the time at home though.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
Foal or 5 year old, the same applies :) A halter is applied to a specific scenario, you want to control the horses movement and restrain him from moving in a direction you don't want him to do. All mine are taught to lead without a halter (lead off a chunk of mane) regardless if I get them at 6 months or 6 years, would I do it down a main road, hell no, it is much harder to maintain control without a long rope and something easily gripped. I do it all the time at home though.
ours are the same, we can move them around paddocks via their Mane or rug but wouldn't dare move them on the roads without either a halter or Bridle dependent on which one it is, in some situations you do not have time to go and get a halter, you just need them to trust to go with you.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com