Training Suze

windy today, long reined her up the winter field to collect two skips that had blown away. came all the way back down the field to the yard with me carrying the skips as well as long reining her. brave girl

Reactions: Jessey

First time she has been asked to load since she travelled here when we moved in 2012. She was calm, approached the ramp, walked up, stopped, gave treats, took her on and off it, then finally with a feed scoop she came pretty much into it so we could have closed the partition but that's for another day. Took 15 minutes in total, what a good girl. Every time you asked her to walk to the ramp she obeyed, didn't try to back out at speed, took it all very sensibly. Very proud of her.

Such a good girl. And so wide! She practically fills the ramp!
she's not that big angle doesn't help as it's awkward as have to come on in then swivel bum around. she's around 550kg but watching her weekly adjusting grazing accordingly. she did really well, didn't panic or try to shoot off

I did't mean she was fat, not at all, she is just a really substantial draught horse. I think she's stunning!
no i realise that, she looks huge in pictures but she is only 15hh and up close to her she doesn't feel massive. Sure she has a big bottom and big bones but she is very light on her feet and very light to handle. I am very pleased with her, her attitude is really good, she asks you what you want when she doesn't get it.

Did some more box training, put some food in and left suze to go in herself, she walked in and came out.

Fleur has only loaded when six months old and she travelled her with her mum. She went in to investigate and later on I led her in and swivelled her into position for the partition to close, then led her out.

Buddy was horrified but went in, took his collar off and left him eating then he let himself out.

Krug had a look will try him tomorrow, Murphy stayed well away.

Very pleased with Fleur, she was quite fearless, in she went, she tensed slightly in it, when i was with her, but didn't panic and walked out slowly, didn't charge out. She was excellent.

Reactions: Huggy
Haven't done much this week as too hot or raining, She did some work in the field with 3 donkeys and Fleur and Buddy to help....nice flexes and yields, some half passes, then circle walk trot walk halt in both directions. She is getting very good on voice commands.

Rode Buddy first then did some work with suze, nice flexing, half passes then lots of walking on the yard in tight spaces, negotiating obstacles i.e. walking into gap between upright and round bale holder, round uprights in tight circle. If we got the angle wrong then backing up and turning to get through the gap, walking in circle around a donkey or haynet tied up, reversing up the yard etc. She is amazingly calm, she waits for instructions and even when we got a turn totally wrong and had to reverse, she backed up quietly then did the turn. Good practice for things you might meet out hacking. Did long reining on one rein only, asking her to walk on just with rein on left then voice to ask to halt walk on so she is getting used to leading and being independent.

We had a go at loading last week so today another try. It was a wild and windy day, not ideal for training but if you have to get to hospital then you have to load.

She put fronts on the ramp but wouldn't go on. Left her for a bit and had another go. Long reined her on the yard to see if she would try it like that but no. In the end I brought in a scoop of food, she got fronts on the ramp but no further. So i stayed in the box with the food, kept pressure on the rope if she tried to go back but released if she relaxed. After 15 minutes of this she finally decided to walk in with all of her in the horsebox. I left her to eat the feed, took halter off and left her to it and she unloaded when she was finished and got another treat.

She did so well. This was our first real argument, I knew she could do it she was just being a bit well what if i say no. So just by waiting she eventually decided it was less effort to come into the box than stand on the ramp for hours.

Brilliant girl, brought her in from field, asked her to load, put fronts on ramp, stopped, waited for her to think about it, just walked in and took halter off, while she ate. She brought herself out, then Fleur self loaded and reversed back out. Brought the remains of the bucket to Suze then turned her out again. So pleased with her. A lot of folks would have asked her to load again but no, she did it, tomorrow we may try closing the partition while she eats and next week get the ramp up and maybe drive her. Want it to be a positive experience for her as when we go out it is all down to me loading her, no help, so she has to get it and be reliable. So far she is not scared, and slowly getting the idea.

Brilliant morning. Buddy hacked out, met a wall of baaing as a large flock of Zwartbles had been moved and were creating. Horses in the field next to the sheep were galloping and tearing around, so Buddy had to have a bounce and show off.

Suze self loaded, opened the ramp up put food in and asked her to go in herself, she walked in moved her bum over and shut the partition behind her. She continued to eat. Turn the engine on so she got used to it. Let her out then asked her to come in again with the engine running to finish of her feed, then she went out to the field. She couldn't have done it any better. Really calm, did exactly what was asked.

Well I did it. Sat on Suze for the first time. Rode Buddy and when he came home put his saddle on her, tried her with the little steps but saddle slipping a bit. So got the girths really tight and brought the mounting block onto the yard. Got her lined up, did a left foot in stirrup and lean over. Came off her. Then did it again, this time sat on her, both feet in stirrups asked her to walk, she wobbled a couple of strides asked her to halt and dismounted, which is my worrying area as i am a bit untidy but she left me slither down her. Didn't turn a hair. Fed her some L mix as reward and told her she was a brillant girl and put her out in the field.

Kind of shocked i did it.

She is resting after the shock too.

Last edited:
She did so well today, she can understand walking forward when i rein her from her shoulder but not quite getting it while on board. But she managed to walk a couple of steps, then stop and ask what do you want and got from one end of the yard to the other. She probably would find it easier if someone led her but we have to do it the hard way. Very very pleased with her.20200617_092825.jpg20200617_092449.jpg20200617_092623.jpg20200617_092640.jpg20200617_092649.jpg20200617_092724.jpg20200617_092746.jpg20200617_092755.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jessey
Oh she is so stunning! And such a peaceful, gracious looking mare. I think you're very brave and she is very good!
thank you, she is very calm, she is trying to understand and i am trying to help her to! She hasn't reacted or put a hoof wrong just time and work till we get our act together a bit more professionally

newrider.com