Transporting for hours

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Just in the process of booking a week away in Dumfries - first time we've been, usually go further north. Of course did a search to find out where I could ride locally - it's like having fish and chips when you go to the seaside, I've got to have a local hack when I go away! Anyway, came across somewhere that would board your own horse and the rides sounded so lovely - forests, unspoilt countryside and beaches I really fancied doing that. It's not for now though - when I consider that I'd have to make arrangements to 'book' (and pay for) the half week when my share-loan isn't mine, plus hire a trailer, extra fuel and his accommodation it would work out more than the cost of the human's holiday. Oh yes, and then there's the little thing about this being a family holiday, and not really about me going riding off into the sunset on my own every day ...

Got me thinking though, maybe in the future I could do this, poss with a like-minded friend instead of fitting it in with a family holiday. I wondered though - it would be about a 6 hour journey - more probably as I expect a trailer slows you down considerably (never towed one myself). Is it fair to put a horse through that for a holiday? I would imagine 6 hours standing up in a confined space would be pretty uncomfortable, although I would stop for breaks etc, but even so ... What do you think?

Ok Bodshi - I've done this. I used Bridle Rides and found really nice riding and accomodation for my horse. Then, split the journey with overnight accomodation for both me and horse along the way,as I didn't want long towing or stressed horse. I am sure you could always beg a paddock from a NR person and then B & B. I had a lot of fun planning it all and went with a really good friend, met lots of like minded people. We had a great couple of days but friends horse went lame on 3rd day so we came home. As for the family meet them up there so they can be ready with hot food and wine - see- perfection!!!

hiya

sounds a lovely idea for holidays, might look it up myself as have often thought about doing that sort of thing,
in terms of your question I've just done a weekend with Grace at my aunts event yard its 2.5 hours door to door in the car and was 3 hours with the trailer so that gives you a rough idea of extra journey time to add, I used loads more diesel towing than I would have normally (this was my first longhaul:p tow adventure)
I suppose it would also depend how your horse travels/loads etc, if it gets stressed loading to start with or is a fidget in the trailer/box then a long trip maybe isnt the best idea, Grace was no problem, I just kept peeking in the mirror and could see her munching away on her hay so wasn't too concerned.
On the way there we stopped 2/3 of the way to check on her and see of she would take a drink etc, she was fine bu wouldnt drink. on the way back we were having a good clear run so just kept on going and she was absolutely fine, unloaded, was not stressed, sweaty of anything of the sort and just trotted off to see her mates in the paddock again like she'd never been away,
so in summary ( yes I do have a tendancy to waffle :D) if your horse is a reasonable traveller the plan plan plan and go for it!!! sounds fab,
also make sure you post all about it if you do go:)

Thanks both for your replies. Had a look at the Bridle Rides website and was most impressed - I especially like the idea of riding from place to place. Good idea about meeting the family up there too - or maybe I could just go with the food & wine! Sensible idea to break up the journey - I can see it would take a lot of planning and probably quite a lot of money, but so much fun. Maybe a project for the future! Perhaps some others on here would be interested and we could have a 'holiday club'??!

Some good advice there..... when on a long journey I give Lexi either soaked hay or haylage - as I know she won't drink, but by doing this I know that she won't get dehydrated.

newrider.com