Travel boots

Lexi 123

Sep 9, 2019
So I was thinking of getting a travel boots for my horse but I have a bit of a problem full is a little to big so I tried a cob which is a little bit to short . Which size should I get

Last edited:
I'd ask at the tack shop where you've been looking. Check the measurements, I can't remember cos it's a long time since I bought some. But surely there will be some measurements on the packaging? Or if you're buying from an online place they should be able to help you. I wouldn't think you'd want them too big, because they might do more harm than good - wobbling about with too much room.
Do you have to use them? Are you doing a long journey? When we moved ours up here (a long way) we didn't bother with them on the advice of the long distance horse mover. I suppose it is personal preference though.

I would also say do you need them!

I have shires soft shall boots for myTB as he can cut himself in grass they are soft but so not cover over the hock which suits him but does give him protection on his legs

I'm not a fan of full travel boots (though have usually had to use them due to employers' preferences) and if they don't fit correctly and are not put on properly can do more harm than good. If your horse is "between sizes" then try a different style. Personally I don't like to use anything that covers the hocks or knees so I go for leg wraps with fetlock protection, like these https://www.viovet.co.uk/HyIMPACT-S...ZuJR_4gDpMfnzeDEcf7k_86cuUbhFmgQaAo5AEALw_wcB

If I feel something is needed I go for overreach and brushing boots. Horses find them far easier to walk in than travel boots, and if you're confronted with a horse that's hyper at the other end you don't need to faff around trying to get them off before you get on.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I'd go for the smaller if you have to, the blooming things always slip down (which is how they tend to cause trouble). I personally don't boot for short journeys, if travelling several hours I tend to use polo bandages as they tend to stay put.

Reactions: Trewsers

I use these, they are much shorter than traditional travel boots but have worked so well for my horse.

I use these, they are much shorter than traditional travel boots but have worked so well for my horse.
I just bought the boots they fit tks

Last edited:
Personally I don't like to use anything that covers the hocks or knees
This is quite hard to ask without sounding argumentative (and this is just information seeking as I don't really know much about horses other than what I have learnt by luck along the way!) , but why?

I use long travel boots on Harvey because he tends to stamp his back feet when there are flies around and can bang his hocks on the back of the lorry so I thought they would save him bruising/grazing himself.

I really like those. I don't boot Raf for travelling but those are what I'd go for if I did, and a very reasonable price too. Raf could actually do with a set on permanently to stop him knocking himself, wonder if I could get away with it :p

So I was thinking of getting a travel boots for my horse but I have a bit of a problem full is a little to big so I tried a cob which is a little bit to short . Which size should I get
I’ve always found the rigid boots too bulky for fine legs. The only pony’s they’ve fitted is my highland. I found some in Lidl of all places which are much softer.

newrider.com