Treating horse fly bites....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Passing this on because it has helped me immensely both physically AND mentally.

I suffer huge reactions to horse fly bites. So much so that I used to actually avoid riding during the months that they are at their worst. We're talking side-plate-sized hot, hard, red, itchy swellings on my legs.

Anyway, all that has changed because I have discovered "After Bite", which is a pen-shaped tube of an ammonia solution that you dab on and around the bites, preferably as soon as you know you've been got. I use it regularly during the day (and if woken with itching at night) and now my reactions have reduced to the size of 20p and 50p swellings, which only last about 24 hours anyway. When I did my all-day ride on Albi recently, I came home with 21 ( yes, TWENTY-ONE) bites.... something of a rite of passage.... and apart from a slightly uncomfortable night on the Saturday, I was able to keep itching and swellings minimal.

You can buy After Bite in most chemists - and Aldi at the moment! It's about £2.50 or so - I have two or three of them around the home and in the car.... It really has transformed my life as I now know that if I DO get bitten, I won't be in a lot of discomfort for days afterwards.

I read recently that horseflies don't have a sense of smell so fly repellents are inactive for them, they are attracted to dark colours and movement... don't know how true that is but I don find Superdrug's own strong aerosol fly repellent (black can, orange lid) seems to keep them at bay if I'm riding.... shame I didn't have any to hand on the aforementioned ride!!!

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
Thanks for sharing that. Last year I ended up with my hand twice the size and ringing the NHS helpline because I couldn't bend my fingers or move my wrist. I just kept putting ice on it and they said to try and keep my arm elevated. So far I've been dreading getting bitten again - in case of another bad reaction.

Oh dear you should have asked for advice sooner Domane, I have been using After Bite for about 20 years :D I have always reacted strongly to bites and in the summer my mum wouldn't let me go anywhere without a tube in my pocket! I also find that lavender oil is really effective on bites if you apply it straight away. In Portugal when I took rides out I used to have a little bottle of it in my bumbag, and if you dab it onto the bite as soon as it happens, it prevents you from getting a big reaction. Lavendar oil seems to be a good repellent too, I find it more effective than any of the pre-mixed concoctions you can buy.

Ooh thank you, Joosie.... I have some lavender oil... will dig it out and carry it when riding. xx

I have horrific reactions, even resulting in horribly infected wounds which I bare the scars from 20 years on. Then I found after bite, I always have some kicking round, nothing else works. I use the super drug buzz off spray too as works better than most things.

newrider.com