Treats

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Just wondering how many people buy the horse treats. I've been using some horse and pony nuts to do a bit of clicker training but they are quite small so I tend to give three or four on my hand at a time. But I've been nipped a few times as hes been trying to get them. Just wonder if it would be better to buy a container of treats. As they are large I'm guessing you'd probably only give one or two at a time as they have to be chewed. Would the horse nip less as easier to get off the hand. They seem quite expensive to by buy (5kg bucket for £7) in comparison to using a 20kg bag of pony nuts for £8.

The way you are doing it is definitely the cheapest!
How about keeping them in a bum bag? Not very stylish but does the trick.

I get big bags of carrots delivered for £3 a bag. I don't treat very often, but when leading in and out of the field, he gets a treat for standing still, and he gets a carrot if he walks up to me when I am trying to catch him.

I got given two bags. She only gets one after a session is completely finished, I keep them in a certain place and she had to wait while I get one.

With clicker training you swap the treat to the click as reward, so maybe a small bag is more useful as you will move on from treats anyway.

Mine comes if she wants to come. I have stood in the field and eaten the carrot with her looking and she still wouldn't walk over for it. :rolleyes: She did eventually stroll and I quickly gave up with trying to entice her with food.

Yes bad me I feed treats to the girls. I give Zi pieces of carrot and a polo now and again or banana. I try not to give him so many as he is ridden, large and cheeky and I don't want him mugging or nipping. Mind you, he mugged right from the word go! lol
The girls get ginger biscuits, Stud Muffins, carrots, polos and bananas. Not all at once though. If I am needing to do legs and bribe Chloe things like the ginger biccies or Crunchits work best. I know a lot of people don't like giving treats but I do - they are useful for a number of things.
I have trained Storm to accept her ginger biscuit after rolling on the lunge line in the field. Because of her leg I don't want her doing the shaking like a dog thing and then bucking and farting - so she rolls, gets up - shakes and then accepts the biscuit.

Bailey's High Fibre Nuggets are brilliant for use as treats. You do have to buy a 20kg bag but they work out very cheap....and you can share them with your mates.

I think these are what I use - the ingredients are the same as the horse treats apart from the spices. Harvey gets treats when I fetch him from the field and after he is ridden or has stood nicely to have something done (teeth etc). He doesn't get random treats as he is pushy enough already :(

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Hi FI nuggets are great, I've used them for years.

Ziggy also has some Thunderbrook hay cobs at the moment, I can break them into small pieces and he says they're nicer than the Baileys. He gets them in his feed sometimes if he is looking a bit peaked, but mostly they are for treats.

I buy the baileys treat buckets, it's probably not the cheapest way but as I rarely treat a bucket a year isn't too expensive :) When I was playing about with clicker training I used grass nuts as the big treats would have been too much when you are doing dozens of repetitions. The nipping thing with my lot is less about the size of the treat but the gusto with which they take them, they are perfectly capable of using their lips to get even a little treat, there is really no excuse for teeth getting involved, Hank is the worst for this and his sessions are stopped the moment it happens as he gets progressively worse if you carry on.

newrider.com