trec - thank goodness

Nov 7, 2014
I sort of lurk here, my last much loved pony was pts three years ago this month. I rushed into buying another pony and this spring it was a sort of either it works this season or she gets sold thing. We had got to the stage where pony wouldn't canter more than two paces when schooled, tried endurance (my fav) at pony went into melt down, after 4 comps ending with.sky high pulses and an impossible to saddle at start pony as she threw herself about so much, oh how I dispaired. Anyway out of desperation I went on a trec training long weekend i april.
This was a make or break event as I decided we either clicked or pony would be on preloved.

Well, it was fab, learned loads, bonded with pony during a week looking after her in her little coral, met a kindred partner for trec comps, some schooling issues sorted trec trainer when told we couldnt canter fixed us with her gimlet stare and announced " you will canter around this school" so we did.

From this we have progressed to level one pairs comp coming second and two level two comps (these turmed out to be the welsh Nat and English Nat champs as they were the nearest comps!), not placed at either but had a fab time. Having navigated around cannock forest map riding is now less scarey. Trecs so lovely, great people, fab social side and pony loves it.

Oh as bi product I started doing dressage to improve trec control of paces and got placed second both comps (intro level).

If anyone is looking for a new discipline I really recommend trec..

Attachments

• FB_20150816_13_48_16_Saved_Picture.jpg
    FB_20150816_13_48_16_Saved_Picture.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 22
  • FB_20150816_13_50_27_Saved_Picture.jpg
    FB_20150816_13_50_27_Saved_Picture.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 22
I'm glad you enjoyed trec and found it enjoyable. I do/did a fair amount of trec (my trec horse has been branded as lame for now, so unable to do any), and have placed at all outdoor trees. Through winter they usually run a few indoor trecs which are great fun! There's no orienteering, but a COP and 10-obstacle PTV. It's well worth doing if you want to keep up your PTV and COP skills over winter. I'll be doing the ones around East mids with my 4yo this year.

You can do it in whatever tack you like marj! There's not really a tack restriction. To learn more about the sport Google Trec GB. There's the rule book on there which includes the obstacles they can choose from. Where abouts in the world are you Marj?

Check out Central Trec and TRAC (covers some of the east of England and Wales). This time of year isn't brilliant for events - summer is winding down and winter hasn't started yet, but keep a check and you'll likely find some indoor trecs popping up around the place very soon.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com