Treeless saddle fitting help!!!

charlottedc

Oct 1, 2012
Hi there, Firstly I am new to this forum so Hi! I look forward to sharing tips, picking your brains and generally talking about our beloved ponios!

Secondly, I need your help already!!! I have just bought a 2nd hand Barefoot Cheyenne saddle but need some help in making sure it fits correctly. In principal I think the sadle fits ok but when i sit on it the front sinks right down onto his withers which I am sure cannot be right! I have a proper equitex pad underneath which I ordered specifically and has lots of padding for extra spinal clearance but I cannot seem to lift it off his withers. Does this mean the pomel is too wide?? He usualy is in a wide or x wide gullet on his T6 as he has quite big shoulders with a medium wither. Even in the xwide gullet on the t6 seems to be restricting his shoulders hence why I'm trying a barefoot. What can I do guys???

Otherwise are there are any saddle fitters that cover bedfordhsire that I could get to come and have a look??????? Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
I think some horses conformation goes great with treeless saddles and some horses are okay and some are just not a good fit for treeless.

My draft cross fits fabulously under a treeless. Her back is flat and she has not huge withers.
My QH used to wear a treeless fine but her shape has changed as she aged and I jsut got her a treed saddle to better support spine clearance.
my TB has typical TB withers and a steeple roof back. The saddle fitter that sold me the treeless saddle said that due to his conformation he would just never be a good fit for the treeless.

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Yes, the pommel insert is too wide for him.

I briefly had a Barefoot Cherokee and put a wide in the pommel. This caused him to get a swollen wither on one side.

I believe Barefoot say to use the pommel it comes with unless your horse is exceptionally wide, but the saddle should be level I believe, treeless or treed.

charlottedc

Oct 1, 2012
Thanks SJP1, I am not sure which size the pomel is but have a template I printed off from the barefoot website so will see if I can work it out from that. He usualy rides in wide or xwide gullet ina treed saddle so auumed the same wopuld apply toa treeless. He does have realy sensative withers and I have seen people reccomend using a sofy pomel instead. Would this work or would it just colapse under my weight and do the same as the wider pomel?! Thanks!

charlottedc

Oct 1, 2012
you could completely take out the pommel. we took out the wood shapes on my OH's Torsion treeless and stuffed it with wool instead. How does it fit then?

Hi, I did think of this and have seen it reccomended by barefoot them selves for sensitive horses. Would this not collapse onto his withers even more or would there still be some support? I will try tonight!

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
I have no idea! But at least it doesn't cost anything to try. Our concern was mostly about pressure points so it worked well for us. Not sure how it would work in your case.

P

pinkheather

Cant help i find this subject to be very subjective and one where opinions vary from the sublime to the ridiculous. Best bet is to get a saddler out for advice and stick with the same one. I have found over the years that even the experts dont always agree on the subject. If you get one that is comfortable for the horse and yourself you have one a watch and i dont think it matters if it is treeless or the normal type.. It can all be very confusing at times.

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Your saddle will slip a lot more if you put in the soft pommel or stuff it with rags or whatever.

Bear in mind that treeless have very little structure and need something to stabilise them - or you may as well ride on a cushion with a surcingle!

I would email Horse and Harmony. They are very helpful, but there is no way that the saddle tipping forward onto the horses wither is going to be good IMO. x

charlottedc

Oct 1, 2012
I have sent an email to horse and harmony so hopefully they will come back to me. I do feel that at the moment that the saddle is not right . I have already tried to find a saddler that knows about treeless saddles but cannot find asnyone! Anyone know of someone????

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Can you post a photo of yourself in the saddle so i can see what you mean.

Barefoot doesn't or didn't have saddle fitters.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Looking at the photos, is that a treeless saddle equitex pad or the one designed for treed? It does look very thin.

charlottedc

Oct 1, 2012
Hi newforest, thanks for looking at the pictures. The pad is a equitex high withered treeless pad that I purchased from Dreamteam last week. It has really think panels on either side of the spine to create a gullet. As my horse is old (22) he does has some muscle wastage so bought the extra thick pad especially to fill in the gaps!! Could I use any other padding to help lift it off his withers???? Thanks in advance for your help!! Charlotte

Mollymoo26

May 22, 2009
Hi there I would use a pro-lite pad is aswell as the equitek pad this is what I use with my torsion but be careful your not creating a pinch