Treeless Saddles - not so brilliant after all?

angelfben

Jul 12, 2004
Cheshire
Visit site
Did anyone read the write up in the back of 'your horse' last month on treeless saddles?

About how when using an electrical mat with sensors on it, wired to a computer to test the areas of pressure, the areas of pressure regardless of the make of treeless saddle were always in the same place - the seatbones and the girth area. Eventually over time causing problems to the horses back. That treeless saddles are good unless you ride regularly or compete , in which case you'd need a treed saddle as it spreads the weight more evenly over a larger area causing a lot less stress to the horses back, and that unless you have an absolutely perfect position and your weight is dead centre you shouldn't be riding in one, if you tend to sit forward, lean back, are slightly off centre or have an unstable leg you are causing your horse major problems by riding treeless?

Thoughts? Treeless saddles - another fad nobody really thought through?

what treeless saddle was tested?

I don't think they are a fad, I've been riding treeless for nearly 3 yrs now, and i defiantly wouldn't have a treed saddle unless I had to, treed saddles cause more problems than treeless in my opinion.

I think they testes a range, I will check.

I've never had any experience of them but I did always think it was a bit strange as treed saddles were invented in order to distribute weight evenly in the first place :confused:

Of course you do have to put the time, effort (and money :rolleyes: ) into making sure they fit properly but as is the way with most things equine alas.

I'd like to know what saddle was tested, what shape horse and most importantly, what padding. Dolly's been treeless pretty much her whole life and she has a fabulous back with absolutely no signs of muscle damage. Treeless is also very popular in endurance and that wouldn't be the case if they caused damage.

They must be properly fitted with the right padding used. You can't just buy any old treeless and put it on any old horse with any old pad - that's when you have trouble.

Eta trees were invented to spread the weight of a rider in full armour...much heavier than your average rider. Treeless does tend to have a weight limit for this reason.

i didn't see that article as i don't buy Your Horse. Might see if mum has the mag.... I've been looking into treeless recently after toby's fluctuating waistline. I'm enquiering about trying a few. The pressure issue is something that concerned me coz (a) i'm not a dainty super skinny fairy and (b) i do sit more to the left so don't have even weight down through my seat bones. I think i'll reserve judgement til i've tried a few different treeless makes. If my horse was happy in one, i'd certainly consider buying one......

Well, the treeless I have, has had quite extensive testing, I understand, under different conditions, to determine the pressures underneath it. Standard practice I would guess when you're developing a saddle ? And it's pretty good at distributing the pressures !

You should definitely aim to develop a good seat and great balance for the sake of your horse. Of course. I have no problem with that.

A treed saddle has to fit perfectly in order to distribute weight. Tell me again, how can a rigid structure (a convention tree) match a moving shape (my horse's back) perfectly at all times ?

The idea of supporting a weight - your body, for example - by distributing its weight over a non-rigid structure - like a treeless saddle - is not in any way unusual. If we're really sure that nothing but a rigid support will do, then how about this - lets design ourselves far better beds for sleeping ... we'll get a piece of thick plastic, and mold it to exactly the shape of someone's body, and then put some padding on it. There- lie in that all night, you'll be perfectly comfortable, right ? No, of course not, because you'll move and you need flexible support to cater for this.

I'd definitely be interested to see the details of this study - where can we find it, who are its authors ?

Its usually the stirrup bars that are accused of causing pressure not just the girth attachment and seat bones. The pressure problems I had with a treeless weren't any of those anyway. I did read the article and it seemed a bit of a ranty one rather than facts.

IMO treeless saddles are ok if fitted correctly and with correct use of padding and a treeless saddle will fit more of a variety of horses than a treed, but treeless saddles are not some amazing saddles that fit everything and are kinder to the horse like some people like to claim. Treed suits some and treeless suits some, I don't think either is automatically better than the other. I've got one thats happier in a treed saddle and one that doesn't really care whether she wears her treed saddle or her favorite treeless but really didn't get on with another treeless whatever padding I tried under it.

I tend to find the 'this vs that' part of Your Horse is a bit of ranting really. Some of the people seem to be so set in their ways that I don't even pay attention to what they are saying! It was the same with the barefoot arguement in it.

I think the problem with treeless saddles is that many people view them as an easy fix-it solution when they are having saddle problems. Not everyone realises that you have to take the fit of a treeless into consideration just as much as a treed saddle. You can't simply pop them on and get on with it.

heh, Katewooten you always make me laugh and you put it perfectly. If anyone wants an article on the merits of treeless try Horse and Rider mag the summer issue. :D

I love my treeless saddle (Heather M SBS) and so do my horses.

Who wrote the article? Which axe are they grinding?
Do you believe everything which appears in print?

I know how naff some of the worming articles are (as that is my area of expertese) so don't take everything as gospel.

still, nice to have different view points isn't it? lets not forget either side of an argument can become fixed in their ways, it isn't limited to just one side you know

I don't like treeless saddles (sorry :( ) both my physio and saddle fitter havd both told me of far more damage caused by treeless than treed saddles.

I think though this may relate to the fact they often do come with this one size fits all so people who dont really understand horses take the same saddle and plonk it on to various horses,

Im quite happy with my saddle company saddle.

I love my treeless saddle (Heather M SBS) and so do my horses.

Who wrote the article? Which axe are they grinding?
Do you believe everything which appears in print?

I know how naff some of the worming articles are (as that is my area of expertese) so don't take everything as gospel.

As I said, I don't have any personal experience of treeless so I can't talk, I found the article an interesting viewpoint and the theory made sense to me, hence me putting it to people who are experienced in treeless saddles to see their take on it. I wouldn't have asked for others thoughts/opinions if I 'believed everything that appears in print'. :rolleyes:

I read the article with interest and what I took from it was if you ride in a treeless you need to make sure your position is light and perfect all the time, any unecessary movement and poor position will affect the horses back and bit more the if riding in a convential saddle.

You can probably access the article on their website.

Probably written by someone who knows nothing about treeless saddles and/or has a vested interest!

Since I've had Saff she's been ridden in a treeless and has a brilliant back with no atrophy and no issues with musculature which would be caused by a badly fitting saddle.

Like anything, though, there are good treeless saddles and bad treeless saddles just like there are bad treed and good treed.

There are horses who just don't get on with treeless saddles but they're (treeless saddles, not the horses ;) ) certainly not a fad and most definitely have a place in the market whether the treed saddle companies like it or not.

I DO think that we should be sitting as well and balanced as possible (not sitting in a chair seat, not sitting too far back etc) but that should apply to any saddle, with a tree or not!

The way the rider sits IS important. I recently had a go on a simulator (am going on the course on Thursday :D ) and they get you to put your hand under the back of the saddle to show you the difference between rising correctly and a slight change in body position. The difference is astonishing .... from barely feeling any pressure at all to OUCHIE!!!! It just shows what a difference it could make to the horse!

The only proof that I need for myself is that Saffy is happy and hasn't had any saddle related back issues.

Yes but the article had a trad saddler v a treeless competitor, I dont remember the full details but im guessing that this was from the view of the traditional saddler!

Good god I could write you the same article on treed saddles!

Isn't there enough room in the horse world for both within reason.

I use both, treed and treeless, they both have their place,

newrider.com