Trewsers, would this sort MIL?

That is beautiful! If only.......what a place. I would move there in a heartbeat if I could! Trouble is, the old biddy would find some way of getting on the island. I could just imagine her pulling up in a specially chartered boat.......

Just shown OH he thinks it looks amazing. I think his leaning towards moving to Shetland will one day be more than a dream. It doesn't take much to set him off! I think he would give almost anything to live up there, he doesn't really like it here all that much.

We drooled over a house that was for sale in Shetland just this summer. It was a historic place, looked amazing. It was linked to the mainland but had no proper road. Think it is sold now. OH had it all planned out...he kept looking at it for days on end.... It looked like it had fabulous potential but needed lots doing.

OH was a boatman out in the sound there, knows the waters well, We have flitted ponies in open boats out there too, the look on the salmon farm workers as we sailed past with two ponies stood in the boat was priceless.

Trewsers, the beauty there is, if you made it clear that MIL was not to charter a boat nobody would. She could swim, :D

Maybe we should all chip in and build a NR reserve, lol we could all take turns in spending time there like a time share, I can't believe how little for so much, I imagine building costs would be a lot more than the mainland though due to the fact you have to get everything onto the island.
I always imagine that would be my idea of heaven, but in reality I think it takes a special kind of person to live somewhere like that all the time.

Reactions: Trewsers
There's no peat on that island so you;d have to think carefully what fuel you are going to run your house on. Oil is a pain in the bum as I know the woman who lives in Vaila, the next island over and getting heating oil across is a major operation. Windmills are all well and good here but not reliable and break and blow away on a regular basis, or overheat and their innards melt and run out the back of them! :D Coal seems to be about the best option.

the shorebase land floods on a regular basis, I knew the woman who tried to keep her horse on one of the sheds there and the sea regularly seeped up through the rocks and flooded the stable. Stilts would be in order. On a day like today nobody would be going anywhere, Helicopter is the only way in an emergency you'd get away,

OH knows all about it and you cannot get planning permish for a permanent dwelling, only holiday lets and temporary living. 'Tis council policy not to encourage inhabitation of any more islands, you can live there only as a holiday, temporary measure......though how they know whether you are there or not beats me.

newrider.com