Trial agreement

Sparky0207

Sparky's slave!
Nov 28, 2008
Somerset
We've been looking for a new pony for my daughter, eventually found one that seemed perfect but the owner wanted us to do a one month trial first. This suited us perfectly having been missold our last pony.
So we're doing this trial, 2 weeks from her yard then 2 weeks at ours.
At her yard she has no facilities at all, just a field and field shelter, not ideal but we'll get a proper idea of her when she comes to ours. Trials in place and my daughter's been to see her and ride her everyday. The woman then adds me on Facebook and the most recent pictures are of her two daughters riding the pony around the field and another of her hacking and leading the pony with her daughter on.

She's given me the pony's tack and I've given her a 25% deposit to be returned if she turns out not to be suitable. I don't think it's on at all that she's still using the pony but she said it's fine because the pony is still technically hers.

What do you all think? My daughter loves her and she's a fab pony but I think we're being taken the p out of!!

Well I have no idea what is 'normal'. But until you buy the pony, the pony is still hers. So to my mind she can do what she wants with him/her. Once she is at your yard, then it is different as there is your privacy to consider. It's only a couple of weeks so I would not worry too much - just see it as multiple viewings!!

I don't think that it is fair trial to be honest. If they are still using the pony daily, then this pony is getting extra work which could influence his/her temperament. If your daughter has a light ride/day off one day, she needs to see how the pony responds the next time it is ridden. If other people are riding then this could influence how the pony reacts.

It reminds me of a situation when I bought my horse. I offered the asking price which was accepted and then arranged the vetting as quickly as I could (I think it was 4 days wait). His old owner then messaged me to say that she wanted to keep Ben (my horse) for an extra month and I could have him when she had completed her BHS stage 1. I told her that I would reconsider my offer when she decided she wanted to sell, but I wasn't going to pay a deposit for a horse that she was riding daily.

I digress, I guess it all depends on how much you want to buy the pony, but I do not think it is reasonable for her to keep using him. She should let you have exclusive use.

I do see what you mean MP - but I would not want a horse on trial at their yard anyway if I really wanted him/her, as the owner could always change their mind in the meantime. When the pony has been right I've wanted to get them home asap! If I were the OP I'd stop riding every day - and as I said - just see these 2 weeks as viewings. You never know how much a horse is ridden before a viewing either. And see the 2 weeks at home as the proper trial. It seems an odd thing for the owner to want but it's her horse at the end of the day and buyers can always walk away if they don't like it.

What did you agree? If you didn't discuss sole use then some owners will just carry on as it's their horse.
It is only two weeks but on the other hand what's the point of the trial if you don't have sole use? You might as well just be coming to ride and go again.

Why are they selling?

It wouldn't surprise me if at the end of your two weeks at there yard they announced that they've changed there mind about selling. It maybe they are trialling you to see if you will look after the horse ok in there eyes.
I had a similar thing with a horse I went to look at which was advertised for sale. Saw the horse, rode it, then they announced they wanted a lwvtb. Which was strange. Why didn't they advertise it as lwvtb in the first place. They wanted to see the yard where I would have the horse etc. I said they were welcome to come and see. I rung my insurance to get a quote for vet fees tack etc. I contacted them to tell them id arranged insurance and just needed to ring the insurance company with a date when he was coming to me. What day did they want to come and see my yard. They then announced they had changed there mind on selling. Its my understanding that they have since sold the horse. So all I can think is they were vetting me. They even asked if I wanted to be kept informed about the horse. Well a bit weird considering. I'm afraid if it's not going to be sold to me and they aren't going to loan it. Why would I be interested in being kept informed. They wasted several weeks of my time thinking I had found the horse for me.

newrider.com