Trotting a French Trotter - experiences and advice?

Philosopycat

Sep 9, 2020
Hi everyone I bought a beautiful 8 year old French Trotter a month or so ago. She is sweet and gentle, but has the weirdest trot - I'm finding it impossible to rise to it. Hard to describe, but sort of fast, bouncy, and side to side. She isn't a pacer though - she's def a trotter. Her previous owner told me she could trot normally (and I saw her doing this on videos), and warned me about the weird trot (which I experienced when I first tried her). Has anyone else had this experience with their French Trotter? I just want to hack her out and don't care too much about the weirdness but I do worry that sitting her weird trot will put pressure on her back. Any advice??? Thanks so much

I rode pacers years ago, they go both lefts then both rights and are very comfy to ride as you just sit. Does she canter? Pacers will not canter generally they just pace at high speed. Some trotters if they have been in harness have been used to having their heads held up artificially so she may just be finding trotting without that a bit difficult to get her balance?

newrider.com