Trotting poles of much excitement

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
Waaaaah. Got a sense for how much the ex-racehorse at my riding stables used to love jump racing on Sunday.

Exercise in the school was to trot from H-C, trot poles from C-A, track left at A and pick up a canter before F, back to trot at M, trot poles C-A, track right at A, and trot back to E.

Racer's thought process was this:

Trotting... OMGPOLES! YAY!
CANTERING! YAY!
CANTERING! LOVE CANTERING!
Why is she asking me to slow down? I'll do 3 strides of trot... but POLES WERE MADE FOR CANTERING! CANTER THE POLES. Ok I'll begrudgingly slow down now. o_O

I took another attempt at it, circled him at the point I could feel him trying to canter approaching the poles, tried again, OMGPOLES again, circled him in trot again, ended up compromising and making him walk them. Sheesh.:rolleyes:

Was almost a bit of a "woah shamrock!" Moment if I'm honest. That sudden realisation that even though he's 20 he can still shift a bit when he wants to. :D

Reactions: GaryB and Jessey
Haha. They are daft aren't they! It takes a lot of effort to get mine to actually trot and not jump poles last time we jumped 3 in a row :eek:! Any excuse to leave the ground!

Reactions: HaloHoney
newrider.com