trotting to fast??

spannie

Jan 11, 2009
Hi All,can someone please tell me how to slow my horse up in trot,it feels like 50mph,which makes me think to canter will be at least 75mph!!

ditto- the horse will slow down to accomodate you :)

if your new to riding you may find it hard to slow your rises down (takes balance and core strength especially on a big moving horse) yoga/pilates is useful for building your balance/core strength many riders do this to help flexibilty as well :)

I have a very similar problem....it doesn't matter how much I slow my rising the pony more runs than trots, but an added problem is that she hollows her back and lifts her head really high, her teeth and back and saddle have been checked.

Spannie good luck, I can't help only sympathise (sp) mine is a work in progress too!

Thanx Pennywitch my boy does sound very similar to yours,as he lifts his head into the clouds and zoom off he goes,i can slow him down by just telling him to steady which works in the school fine but not out,i think hes trying to get the better of me,bring it on...

Also don't trot continuously. He he feels like he is going to start power trotting forward then do a downwards transitions to walk and then trot on again. Do that everytime you feel he is getting too powerful in his trot.

I also have the same problem, only mine tucks her head right in and basically pulls and rushes along, so i then have no breaks really! She is very strong and she does this in canter to, she is a typical whizzy pony and very excitable:eek: But i love her bless!

I am just going to take her back to basics with lots of schooling.

Good luck :)

I wish my boy would tuck his head in because now im so para of his head rising so high its freaked me out!! ive noticed he tries to take the mick out of me when i lunge him he tries to turn to face me and starts to back away!! he has sweetitch so is now in electric fencing,he hates it,and does the same to go in the field,turns and faces me and backs up,but today i decided no more and tapped his shoulder with the lead rope with a sharp "walk on" and got him in,have i just got to toughen up?he was fine before 3 wks ago!! could it be his age,hes almost 7??

I have had the same thing, but in recent weeks we've had a real breakthrough.

I have found that slowing my rising helps, so does squeezing up and in with my thighs, and also sponging on the reins and then giving when she responds. ALso found that the shorter I made my reins, the worse it got, so although it feels so wrong at first, lengthening the reins may also help. ALthough hard to say without seeing you!

I have also found that a standing martingale has helped. I am viewing this as a temporary measure until she learns that raising her head above a certain level isn't so good! I found a standing martingale gives a more direct message and clearer suggestion to lower than a running.

I have had the same thing, but in recent weeks we've had a real breakthrough.

I have found that slowing my rising helps, so does squeezing up and in with my thighs, and also sponging on the reins and then giving when she responds. ALso found that the shorter I made my reins, the worse it got, so although it feels so wrong at first, lengthening the reins may also help.

My horse has just started reliably trotting again*. To get a good trot with her I have to give her a loose rein so she can find her balance but this will mean she goes pretty fast in the trot. Once she has found her balance I can slow her with my seat using half halts and "playing" with the reins though still keeping them loose so she balances herself, much like thingstodotoday says above. Once she slows a bit I can use rising to slow her down but at first I tend to find she is in an almost four beat in her extended trot so it is very hard to rise too, more reach than suspension in the gait. I have seen other horses do the same when they are fast so I suspect it is not a gaited horse issue.

* She's a 5 gaited icelandic and tends to lateral rather than diagonal gaits however I think that there are far more similarities than differences between "gaited" and other horses.

Hi all just a quick update....ive finally found my boys brakes!! hooray!! ive had 2 brill lessons this week already,which has turnt a negative into a positive! Thanx for all the advice,shortening my reins to much is half of my problem,im now learning how to relax without sticking my bum out!!ha!! slowing my rising trot defo works well

newrider.com