Trouble with getting the bridle on - ideas?

tiga

Oct 29, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex
I am having problems getting Izzy to let me put his bridle on. He throws his head up and tries to move away. He is very good for the head collar.

When I first started riding him I was all thumbs with the bridle and not very confident and I think he is just taking the mickey. When someone else does it he is fine, except yesterday, but I had been trying for ages and getting a bit worked up. Sometimes he is fine, other times a royal pain.

I have thought of getting him to stand still with the bridle ready to go and then retreat, type thing. Also putting some honey on the bit. Or maybe I should do some more groundwork with him before I try to bridle him?

His teeth were done about a month ago, his saddle was fitted a month ago but am having it checked again tomorrow. He is fine once it is in and works fine.

Any ideas welcome. THanks

I had this trouble with my gelding soon after I bought him.

Had teeth and backed checked etc etc.

My RI said that because he is fine once bridle is on and he absolutely loves his work, that he was just taking the p**s and seeing how much he could get away with, because I was new mummy and he was testing the water and I am rather soft too....

Anyway, RI told me to be firm with him, put hand on his nose, and when he tries to raise his head use a firm voice and say "don't you dare do that to me"..... and it worked:D

Now if he even starts to think about it, which he does sometimes, all I have to do is put my hand on his nose and go "uhh uhh" or something like that. I don't even have to actually say anything.

It is all about confidence and being firm.

Maybe it is something else discomfort related like not being happy with the bit or a problem in the poll region.

If your horse has had a full MOT so discomfort in any area of the body can be ruled out then I'd be looking to tech your horse a cue to lower the head and turn slightly towards you. Do this as an entirely separate exercise unrelated to tacking up and then look to transfer those skills to that task. :)

I agree teach him head down. My lad will throw his head up unless given the head down cue.
Anyone who bridles him is told to tell him head down or he reverts back.

I have got a different bit to try, but this is the type of bit he has always gone in. I also thought about maybe the bridle - I will have a look at some others.

I have taught him to put his head down for his head collar and he does it everytime, practically puts it on himself. I will keep trying with this.

I think it is a confidence thing - I have a bit of a mental block about it now TBH.

THanks for the ideas.

you must find out what he doesnt like.even banging his teeth with the bit can do it and squashing his ears to much.if you think his being cheeky with you a good way is putting the whole bridle over the head coller,but it has to be the one that undoes on both the nose band part to, i do this at shows etc so i have control while the bridle goes on it does help alot.avoid doing the head coller round a horses neck they hate it.

I think it is a confidence thing - I have a bit of a mental block about it now TBH.

In that case you have a great oportunity to take things very slowly for both of you and get to watch your horse in as much detail as you can take in which is always very rewarding :D

Watch his reaction when he first sees the bridle. Is there any reaction?

How about when you get nearer?

Is it when you try to get the bit in? If so take the bit of the bridle and bridle without it a couple of times to see if you get the same reaction.

Break the action of bridling him up into as many baby steps as you can to pinpoint exactly when he exhibits having a problem. Form there you should get closer to knowing exactly where in the process the problem lies and what it might be. Knowing the problem puts you within spitting distance of being able to solve it :)

Thanks. Breaking it down seems to be a good plan. I will start tomorrow. I came off yesterday and am a bit sore now so going home for a hot bath - no horsing for me today!

Good luck with it. :)

Would you update us with the full details of what you did and the results? I'd love to catch up on your progress as you begin to rule things out.

This to me is a 'proper' thread about 'proper' horsemanship issues and one well worth you documenting if you have the time to share it ;)

The fact he's reacting to the bridle but not a headcollar does suggest some sort of discomfort issue to me. I once took the opportunity to ask my visiting neighbourhood RA (as was) to check a bridling problem for me while she was on the yard, Rio was throwing her head up out of the way rather than accepting it. I had actually changed the bit on the bridle from pelham to snaffle just beforehand, and when I went to demonstrate the problem she failed to resist, several times. Mystified, I put the pelham back on and hey presto, resistance.

What sort of bit is it? Have you tried anything different? You might even just be up against remembered discomfort, in which case breaking things down into steps is a good way to start tackling the problem.

He's in an eggbutt snaffle which is what he has always had. I did get a rubber type one, eggbutt snaffle, but then he was okay with it. I did accidentally bang his teeth with it a while ago so it maybe that.

I also wondered if the browband wasn't comfortable as his previous people didn't use a browband.

On our yard we have an RA and an almost RA so I will talk to them but they aren't around much at the moment as they are on tour with Kelly Marks.

The thing that makes me think it is me is that when other people do it, he is much better. Not perfect but not a problem.

I am going to start trying different things and will keep you updated.

Tiga, Do you have troubles giving wormer to Izzy? I often find that comes along with the bridling problem your describing. Read the thread by Diamonddogs if you haven't already. The same problem is discussed there as well. :)

http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205571

Work on his head and neck and I suspect you will see a change in his attitude. As some would say, "it's just a symptom of a cause".

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

"it's just a symptom of a cause".

Another observation of mine on the same horse - I don't have trouble bridling her, but my fairly novice sharer, and daughter have had. Might be a size thing as well, she's not that big and I'm quite tall and she can't evade me, but I suspect Jack might have a point there too :)

Maybe it is the brow band.
My daughters pony has to have his bridle assembled on his head.
He is very ear shy and doesn't like his ears going through the browband/head piece, he even has an issue with the reins going over his head.
Mind you he is an extreme case.

Update:

Levi - I don't have any trouble with worming him.

He is 15.1 with a huge head. He is very strong. So when he does put his head up it is hard to control.

Yesterday somebody else put the bridle on as I fell off on Thursday (not his fault) and hurt my shoulder. He put his head up twice and tried to back up, but she got it on pretty easily. I just rode him for the saddler so took it off after about 15 minutes.

Today I spent a lot of time grooming him and did a lot around his face and head. He is fine with having my hands all over his head, ears and poll etc. I could brush his face, pick off mud, clean the hair in his ears - all perfectly alright. I then spent some time just scratching his face and under his chin. He liked that. But when I put my hand under his chin and over his nose, he moved his head away. That is the position I would have had my hand holding the straps of the bridle. It is also the position where I am trying to hold his head. I kept holding my hand there but with very little pressure - for a few seconds, gave him a 'Good boy' and then let him be. I repeated this a number of times.

I then took him into the indoor school on the headcollar and did some groundwork. Then did a bit of work at liberty. He was following me around and I picked up the bridle and showed it to him. He had a sniff but turned his head away. I walked away and he followed me. I just held the bridle in front of him and I stroked his face. When I moved the bridle closer to his face he would turn away and I would walk away from him. He would then follow.

I put the reins over his head and he was fine, just standing with me stroking he face. When I put the bit near him, he didn't like it. So I took the reins off and then took the bridle apart. I then put on the top part with the brow band and he was fine with that.

We did some more liberty work - nothing to do with the bridle and then took him back to the stable. I wanted to get some opinions on the fit of the bridle on the poll and browband area. So I put the bridle on. With very little problem bizarrely. He didn't like it, but I was very positive. I actually said 'This is going on now Izzy.'!

General opinion was that the browband may be a tiny bit tight - not actually hurting but could be more comfortable. I also think that the browband is pulling the bridle too close to his ears. So I am going to get a bigger browband or may just get a bigger bridle - but it is full as it is.

Anyway - thanks everyone for the advice. I feel like we made some progress today, even if it was just me eliminating things and feeling more confident. I am going to continue with working with the bridle when at liberty and will keep you informed, in case you're interested.

Sounds like you have done brilliantly.

It took us, well my then 11yo daughter months to be able to bridle her pony in a relaxed manner even with it in pieces.

You can ride without a brow band, until you get a better fit, I wish someone had told us that in the early days.

newrider.com