Truely Ashamed/Angry

Sophie..*

Oct 6, 2007
Warks.
Please dont have a go at me for anything on this thread, because i am really shocked and upset about this.

Went to a show today, and my brothers pony had just ran out of the moutain and moorlend breed class :eek: As he came back to the horse lorry dougie was going absolutly mental, i had him tied up, and as my brother went around the toher side of the lorry to get his headcoller, dougie was spinning around and i reached to undo his quick release not, in the process he managed to squish my arm inbetween him and lorry. I was crying in agony and my brother called my dad for help, he came over to my horse and started lashing out on him, dougie pulled back on the rope which broke (i still had hold of him) and my dad started hanging on his head and samcking him. Now by this time i was screaming at him to "****ING GET OF MY HORSE" i was basicly screaming the place down and everybody was looking, i felt really ashamed of my dad but as i was shouting rather lodly so kinda embarassed. But i hope you can imagine how i feel and im really upset. How would of you reacted..?
:mad::mad::mad:

i can understand totally your anger at your Dad ( I would hev reacted the same way ) BUT as a parent I can also understand your Dad's reaction, it is instinct to protect our children.

The main thing is that you are all ok

i can understand totally your anger at your Dad ( I would hev reacted the same way ) BUT as a parent I can also understand your Dad's reaction, it is instinct to protect our children.

The main thing is that you are all ok

I agree, both totally understandable reactions. Perhaps you could have a quiet word with your dad and explain that he didn't deal with it in the best way. Nothing at all wrong with what you did, other than the language :D

Aww poor you, hope the arm heals soon.

Erm I can't really understand why your dad smacked dougie, but I would have have the exact same reaction as you. The smacking was not called for tbh.
:)

I can't understand as such why your dad did that, but i can believe that it's a reaction a lot of parent's would've had - protecting their child etc etc. At the same time, i can totally understand your reaction; smacking wasn't the right approach for your dad to take and i'm not surprised you gave hm a piece of your mind; most people would've done the same. Hope your arm and Dougie are OK.

hope your arms not to bad, im not a parent but almost understand, metion to your dad it wasnt a wise move, if he ever comes across somebody like me at a show be warned, i have on one occasion taken a whip out of somebodies hand and whacked them with it. (it was after watching a bad round then somebody take the horse back to the lorry for a beating)

if your dads not horsie he wouldnt understand what damage he could do to the horse, (not to mention at a show isnt the best place to lose his rag)

ignorance is never an excuse really, if your brother had you in a neck lock he wouldnt of lashed out, but then people dont view horses in the same way if you see what i meen.

i know your upset, talk to your dad and make sure you give the ned a good face rub and gentle pat on the cheek so he doesnt expect to be hit. im sure all of you will be ok.

hope your arms not to bad, im not a parent but almost understand, metion to your dad it wasnt a wise move, if he ever comes across somebody like me at a show be warned, i have on one occasion taken a whip out of somebodies hand and whacked them with it. (it was after watching a bad round then somebody take the horse back to the lorry for a beating)

I know i shouldn't be saying that's the right thing to do, but well done :eek:! I don't condone violence, but that means i don't condone violence against horses, either - i know two wrongs don't make a right but there have been a lot of occasions where i've wanted to give people a taste of their own medicine.

I agree with all thats been mentioned, it does sound like you Dad isn't horsey. Perhaps a subtle hint would work, it's happened now, spilt milk and all that!

Your dad perhaps over reacted to protect you.

Maybe it is worth considering that a little more before coming on here complaining about his shameful behaviour.

Perhaps you should have spoken to him first....

I know i shouldn't be saying that's the right thing to do, but well done :eek:! I don't condone violence, but that means i don't condone violence against horses, either - i know two wrongs don't make a right but there have been a lot of occasions where i've wanted to give people a taste of their own medicine.

dont! i once worked at a sj yard, girl had a wonderful horse, brought it back into the yard with spur welds that were running blood, i dragged her off the horse and told her not to get back on it, took over the horse, then started giving her lessons, oddley enough i was the only person she listened to /respected.

i dont condon my own actions, if your going to give a horse a whack do it for the direct action not after.

op. im sure in the morning things will seem so much better

i would of done exactly the same thing- and probably gone on at him about it for ages after lol :p

I can understand why he did it, my dad is unhorsey but i've got him to 'think horsey' now lmao

just explain why thats not a good thing to do and im sure he will understand

:)

Last edited:
dont! i once worked at a sj yard, girl had a wonderful horse, brought it back into the yard with spur welds that were running blood, i dragged her off the horse and told her not to get back on it, took over the horse, then started giving her lessons, oddley enough i was the only person she listened to /respected.

i dont condon my own actions, if your going to give a horse a whack do it for the direct action not after.

op. im sure in the morning things will seem so much better

Don't worry i won't - the thing that makes my blood boil most is seeing a person hit a horse; but i'm too much of a wimp to confront them!

It sounds like he acted totally on instinct to protect you so don't go too crazy on him! Expalin calmly re scaring the horse more/making it headshy etc. Maybe even thank him for being so protective!

This is a really hard one and please don't be too quick to judge your dad.

From his point of view he's had your brother coming to him shouting for help,the adrenaline kicks in,he rushes over to hear you crying in pain and obviously distressed and see's your horse is the cause of it,he was doing the most natural thing in the world as a parent-trying to rescue and protect his child.
As the horses owner you of course see things differently,especially as soon as the immediate danger had passed,but don't blame your dad too much,he really was only trying to help I'm sure:)

As a parent myself I can understand the immediate response to your child being in danger,and the anger any parent feels towards anyone or anything that put your child in that position,is not an emotion that any parent would find easy to control I'm afraid.
As a horse owner though I can completely understand your concerns also.Is a difficult situation,but maybe a chat and a bit of understanding on both sides is the way to go.
Sorry for waffling,just felt a bit sorry for your dad in all this:eek:
Hope you both work it out:)

...Take it from one who knows.....as parents...when it comes to our kids, we don't see logic!! Logic doesn't come into it. In most of us the killer animal instinct comes out when any one lays a 'finger' on our kids. So don't be too hard on your dad.:)

Your dad was just reacting to your screams and you being in obvious pain BECAUSE of the horse crushing you.

It is a natural reaction, whne I got my leg broke a number of strangers horses get a smack on the butt or ribs to get out of my dad's way when I was passing out on Kia.

My dad had to get to me incase I fell off unconcious and got trampled.:eek:

Natural reaction dont blame your dad or treat him too harshly. Your are his girl after all he feels he has to protect you :)

Nikki xxxx

Well said Devonlass and Monty.

Your poor Dad is probably feeling so bad after his reaction.

Unfortunately tying up the pony when he was going 'mental' is probably not the best thing - will make him panic some more. Always difficult in these scenarios on what is best to do, but walking him around (if it is safe to do so)would be the best thing to do.

newrider.com