Trying to be nice .,, total fail

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
OH and I discussed and agreed that we would like to welcome in to our home a member of the elderly community for Sunday roast.

I stated I would pick them up at around two and drop them
Home around four thirty no cost to anyone but me.

I put the add out on four local community sites lots of positive feedback but as I have no down stairs bathroom I bring overlooked

I just want to do something nice so frustrated

That's a real shame, and I would have thought there would be elderly people out there who'd love a Sunday roast with company and could manage a flight of stairs if they needed the bathroom. It's a lovely gesture.

Don't be discouraged - there'll be a spritely pensioner out there, glad of your gesture. After all, one can be physically perfectly able to manage stairs and still be in need of an outing and some pleasant conversation. I think it's a lovely idea.

It's a really lovely idea, what a shame you are being overlooked, persist with it, someone will take you up on it eventually I'm sure :) or if not, could you perhaps offer to bring a plate to them?

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Well l work for a lady who has just turned 98. She still climbs the stairs as her bedroom is upstairs. She refuses to have a stair lift fitted. So there will be someone.
I agree maybe you could volunteer to take a plate to someone. The lady I work for doesnt get out much now. She does find it quite an effort. She was a member of the church and used to get regular visitors but as she has dementia and getting worse the visitors are dwindling. I guess they struggle with her repeditiveness. She really needs more support. She has no children and only a couple of distant relatives.
I also work for someone who is 95. He gets out even less. His family arranged meals on wheels but he didnt like the fact that the meal was anytime between 11.30 and 2.30. So he stopped having them. Some of the food was also inedible. He now has ready meals but the range is very limited so he gets bored of eating them. I'm sure someone talking a meal to him would be nice. He could also benefit from getting out, but sadly cant manage stairs now.

Reactions: Huggy
That is so lovely and kind of you. I think what everyone else has suggested is true - someone will be out there and want to come in the end. Lots of lovely thoughts to you and your OH for thinking of doing it. Wonderful xx

Reactions: Huggy
I was in a similar position to you. We contacted the charity that ‘Bisto Gravy’ were supporting last year to arrange for an elderly person to come regularly for Sunday dinner. However, none were registered in our area. In the end we befriended our neighbour and he has shared Christmas and Sunday meals with me & my family. Loneliness in the elderly is so common.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
newrider.com