Turning in more than 2 horses at a time.

Lcunni88

Sep 12, 2021
I've just started working for a yard with around 25 horses. My job in the mornings is to get all horses from the fields to there Stables, de rugged etc. I only have a short amount of time to get all horses in there Stables. As I am new I was taking 2 horses at a time, but in some of the paddocks there are 4 or more horses, when I take 2 of them and try to shut the gate the others escape. My boss said it might be easier to take them all together this scares me as I have trouble with 2. Any tips please

Its what you feel comfortable and safe with and i guess if the horses are already use to being brought in more than 2 at a time. What was the previous person doing.

Reactions: carthorse
At the yard near my home, which I walk through with my dogs in the morning sometimes, the 2 owners bring the horses in 4 at a time. They have 4 geldings in one field and 4 mares in another. I've never seen them play up, they are used to it. There are 2 in each group on short ropes and 2 on long.

Reactions: Lollykay
Talk to your boss and say you're not sure you can manage this, please could she come with you or send someone used to leading like that to give you some tips the first time. However make sure they give you tips while you do it, it defeats the object if you ask them to take horses.

I can take 3 but never tried any more. Where I used to work there was a Wonder Woman who would bring in 5 ponies. But they were little riding school ponies.

It is def a skill to get out without escapees. I tend to get one out(leaving other with headcollor on but on inside of the gate), gate open just enough for one horse, pull gate shut then get next one out rather than trying to get 2 at the same time. Usually saying their name and “walk on”.

What you could also do is find out who is the boss in the field then the second and so on. And take them out in order so that hopefully the less dominant horses will hold back and not barge a higher ranking horse and out the gate.

I've just started working for a yard with around 25 horses. My job in the mornings is to get all horses from the fields to there Stables, de rugged etc. I only have a short amount of time to get all horses in there Stables. As I am new I was taking 2 horses at a time, but in some of the paddocks there are 4 or more horses, when I take 2 of them and try to shut the gate the others escape. My boss said it might be easier to take them all together this scares me as I have trouble with 2. Any tips please
You have received some good advice but my concern is is your last sentence where you state “—this scares me as I have trouble with 2–“. <—- your lack of horse handling experience is showing in that comment.

Maybe this isn’t the best job (or the safest) for you, no matter how much you might want it.

When I had four horses, they came in on their own and each horse went to their own stall, without any help from me. Sometimes there was a hiccup but it wasn’t too often.

I agree with asking what the previous handler did and to do one of two things:

Get over your fears (which the horses do sense) and learn to manage four horses, or find a different job.

Were it my barn and you can barely handle two horses safely, I would have to let you go, as your fear and inability would lead to you and/or the horses getting hurt — probably sooner than later.

I am sorry to be the booger on here, but you just Don’t sound like someone who can safely get the job done, the way it has been done previous to you:)

Reactions: carthorse
I would get some string on the fence, get one horse and tie to the string and then get the second horse which will leave you with a spare hand to do the gate and stop the others escaping. Personally I don’t think it is safe or reasonable to ask you to bring in 4 horses together. Just because others do this it doesn’t mean that it is right, or that you have to. Alternatively ask someone else to come with you so you have 2 horses each.

Reactions: Trewsers
I would get some string on the fence, get one horse and tie to the string and then get the second horse which will leave you with a spare hand to do the gate and stop the others escaping. Personally I don’t think it is safe or reasonable to ask you to bring in 4 horses together. Just because others do this it doesn’t mean that it is right, or that you have to. Alternatively ask someone else to come with you so you have 2 horses each.
I wouldn't want to bring four in together either. I was never keen on bringing Joe and Storm in together. Four would be outside my comfort zone completely. I don't really see how anyone working on a yard can do that safely? I suppose I'd have to see it to understand - maybe there is a super efficient and safe way of doing it? I too would opt for the asking someone to come with me.

@Trewsers I can't say I'd be keen to, but as long as it's a safe environment it's doable (I've done it in the past) and it sounds like the horses are used to it so will probably be quieter this way than as pairs. Like riding and leading there's a knack to it - I'm not good at it but I used to have a friend who'd worked on polo yards who would ride one and lead four!

@Lcunni88 as I said before you need to talk to your boss. It may be that this job isn't for you if you can't pick up the skills she needs, but it may be that you simply need some training. Either way you need to talk.

newrider.com