Turning out geldings with mares

Actually, I disagree Francis, she may be the Alpha because she is non confrontational.It's the Mark Rashid theory of Passive leadership and I have seen it first hand.Before we moved to Georgia My horse was the Alpha, he ate first etc etc but he was passive and non confrontational and that is why the other horses wanted to be around him but he did rule the roost, it was just by being sensible.Before he went there the other alpha was nutty and bossy and not at all sensible. I think he was actually relieved to be released from his post as Alpha!!!!! :D

Well, it really depends on what you consider 'alpha' to be, doesn't it? :D Priority access to food, being able to move other horses feet (by driving, regardless of the amount of threat or aggression used) - that's the 'standard' definition and the one I favour. I think of following as something different. Other horses might follow the alpha, but they might just as well follow a horse who isn't the alpha. In fact, they often do!

No, if u knew her you would know she was alpha mare....they don't even contend her leadership! :)

- i'll put it another way. She is the only horse that can share another horses food without being beaten up! Though she uses non violence. She is also the mother of the herd, looking after everyone else

Last edited:
Miska said:
No, if u knew her you would know she was alpha mare....they don't even contend her leadership! :)
Ok... So how do alphas lead? In what ways does she lead? I'm not saying you're wrong, but our notions of 'alpha' could well be different.

Miska said:
No, if u knew her you would know she was alpha mare....they - i'll put it another way. She is the only horse that can share another horses food without being beaten up! Though she uses non violence. She is also the mother of the herd, looking after everyone else
Does she go up to another horse's food, start eating and the other horse doesn't leave? Or does another horse come up, start eating from her pile/bucket and she deosn't leave? Either way, it sounds like dominance (i.e. who is alpha over whom) is pretty much equal or not an issue between friends. It's lovely to see that when it happens.

I can't really explain it. I suppose everyone in the field stays down the bottom and then when I turn her out they all follow her up to the top and then graze.

She is also the one always by the gate when they all want to come in.

With the food, she can walk up to another horse when they are eating and eat out of their bowl with them (she does this with the most vicious pony in the yard - who bites and kicks)....I love it when it happens to! its so cute. Will have to take a pic some time.

- oh and also when there all out on the ride...we are certain she tells the other horses to go behind her (don't ask me to explain this!)

Miska - She clearly has a friendly disposition towards her herdmates, is liked by them, and is a good leader too. Exactly the kind of horse it would be nice to emulate, I'd say! :)

We've always had ours in mixed herds and in 20 odd years have never had a problem. We've got 2 of each at the moment and the only grumping (ears back, face pulling if they decide to eat from the same haynet type of thing) is between the 2 mares which happens whether or not the geldings are around or whether or not they are in season. Having the geldings actually helps as the boss one will go and intervene sometimes. Having said that it is just face pulling and threats rather than being physical. I would advise you to introduce them all gradually if possible. Maybe have them in neighbouring fields so they can sniff over the fence first if they don't do this already.

newrider.com