Turnout boots when introducing to a new field?

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
I'm very much a 'horses will be horses' owner, I've always turned Kev out into a new field with just a sacrificial rainsheet on to protect from bites, and I expect a bit of a yeehaa and putting ponies in their place. I've been in a lucky position of knowing all the horses I'm putting him in a field with before he goes in.

But after his last introduction to his field I'm a little more wary, he was kicked (no biggy), but they unfortunately landed on his hock and fetlock joints. Cue much worrying and preventative antibiotics. At the weekend another new horse at our yard was introduced to a field and ended up in horsepital from a kick to his fetlock.

So now the thought of moving him up to Aberdeen and turning him out into a field of horses I know nothing about is filling me with dread. So I'm thinking I would like to boot him up for the first 2-3 days. I know there are positives and negatives to this, particularly regarding heating up the legs. But it's North East Scotland I'm talking about, it doesn't get that hot!

Does anyone else do this and what do you use? I keep seeing turnout chaps, but they seem to be more for mud fever than protection.

I've never used boots before, so I'm in uncharted territory here!

I had Sport Medicine boots by N.I.C.E for Joe after he'd been injured. Looking back I wish I had had them earlier on to protect him. Our vets were a little vague on this and wouldn't commit either way, so if I ever had another highly breakable tb I will boot up if worried!

I think I would, especially if it is a big herd and he is a delicate flower. I think Trews idea of SMB is a good one. They are thicker, and protective, and it won't really hurt him to have them on for a 12 hour period. I think Sportabac also do turnout boots and if I remember rightly, they are thicker than the Equilibrium mud fever chaps.

I would also pop on over reach boots if you have any - saves shoes being pulled in times of high excitement.

Hopefully he won't be turned out last into a new herd. I think that is difficult and asking for problems. When I moved Tobes to a yard with a large herd turnout, I was up there at 6.30am and he went out with one other. Most liveries are not hugely early birds and so the horses kind of filtered out. He did get kicked - not necessarily on his first day out - but partly that is because he always has to be in the melle of everything, and obviously didn't get out of the way quick enough, although he is a thug by nature! But that is his nature, and Kev may be a bit more savvy.

Edited to add, my TB had Professionals Choice SMB boots. He had a most peculiar action, and not only over reached but managed to cut his own legs with his shoes - he did manage to win over £40k in prize money which was a constant source of wonder to me as he was barely able to walk down the road without having an incident of forging, or something!! They are expensive, but you may be able to pick them up second hand. Have no experience of other SMB boots.

I have a pair of size medium Premier equine boots your welcome to borrow and i also have some woof wear brushing boots med and large sets which your welcome to have, they were my field turnout boots for malaika and no longer have a need for them if they are any good to you i can pop them in the post for you.

Reactions: Trewsers and sjp1
I have a pair of size medium Premier equine boots your welcome to borrow and i also have some woof wear brushing boots med and large sets which your welcome to have, they were my field turnout boots for malaika and no longer have a need for them if they are any good to you i can pop them in the post for you.

How kind

That is very very kind of you MM! Thank you so much for the offer. I wouldn't like to borrow your PE ones in case he wrecks them though! If you don't need your brushing boots anymore I will happily take them off your hands though, I was thinking about getting myself a set and I think he would fit a medium. Just let me know how much you want for them :)

I'll have a look at those sportabac boots and the SMB's too. The SMBs sound like what I'm looking for. Thanks guys!

Just pm me your address laura and ill pop them in the post for you, your welcome to have them honestly. Malaika was 14.2 and the med fit her fronts the large her backs as i liked them that bit higher up than the medium for turnout so ill just send them both for you :)

We have turnout boots/socks for Charlie to offer a little protection and support, we use them if he is being turned out after a period in - he tends to hoon about and is accident prone - they have been a godsend over winter.

Bo always got himself in trouble, just didn't know when to back off.
I learnt my lesson when I put him out in a new group as a five year old. I knew all the horses and owners, there were 5 total on about 8 acres, we put them out by pecking order 1 at a time, wait until things settled then add the next.
When the last one went out it seemed to explode, he was harassing them all, eventually all 5 started chasing him, pinned him in a barbed wire corner and kicked the bejesus out of him. I counted 56 cuts, scrapes and bites by the end of the day :eek: After that he always had, a rain sheet even in summer and boots -wraps, overreach and knee boots on for the first few days, he never really learnt :rolleyes:

newrider.com