Uneven wear on 'outside' of hoof

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
Rosie is barefoot at the moment as I knew we wouldnt ride much over Xmas and didnt anticipate riding much this month.

She did have all four for the last few months of last year as we were getting in a lot of miles. Her feet are good, no real problems, she was barefoot for a long time when I didnt ride, we went to fronts when I was starting going out more and then we had all four when her backs were getting borderline worn (I like to ride a lot when I can!!!! )

Anyway it turns out that I have found time to ride quite a lot this month and now we are in 'training' for a 10 mile non comptetive riode in a couple of weeks. I have been keeping an eye on her feet and although she is perfectly happy and sound I noticed today that we are getting uneven wear, where as previously they had worn quite evenly. The fronts are wearing on the outside front edge so around 10 oclock on the left and 2 oclock on the right. Its even both sides, symmetrically. Is this normal and I just havent noticed or is she doing something weird with her feet thats causing this? I think i am just stressing that we are riding too much for her feet and the farriers not coming until 2nd Feb. (it could be that sub conciously I am looking for an excuse to not go do that ride on my own?) Some reassurance required please!

The more stimulated the feet are the knife they will grow.

But yes, it can be perfectly normal. Very few horses have a central rollover point - mine don't. It is affect by shoulder tightness/ conformation etc :) the breakover points can also be different between feet. Shoes tend to mask this but it depends on how they are shod.

newrider.com