Unusual pheasants

yes we had these on the estate when I lived in Norfolk (not my estate I hasten to add lol!) and some of these but I think they might possibly be the same type just slight variations on the plumage colour? Really beautiful they used to take breakfast with Solly and Peggy every day. The two very polite cobs happily let them dive in their buckets and have their fill! :p
http://www.gobirding.eu/Images/Pheasants/Pheasant/Pheasant, S of Wells, 13-Apr-11 (D4).JPG

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
They are semi-melanistic pheasants and very handsome they are. We have a few like this and also some which are incredibly pale, so that their heads are golden-red rather than red and their feathers silver and gold. They're really beautiful.

Pheasants are beautiful, but awfully dumb.

Reactions: Jessey
Funny, I was thinking today we haven't had many pheasants about this year. They're bred and released for shooting locally, so I wonder whether they haven't bred so many this year, or if something has gone wrong. I once stumbled on a 'secret' hatchery when I was walking the dog - never seen so many rats scatter in my life!

Funny, I was thinking today we haven't had many pheasants about this year. They're bred and released for shooting locally, so I wonder whether they haven't bred so many this year, or if something has gone wrong. I once stumbled on a 'secret' hatchery when I was walking the dog - never seen so many rats scatter in my life!
We used to have big breeding pens out behind my old house, thankfully far enough away the rats weren't a problem for us, but like you when walking the dogs you'd see them darting off everywhere ....yuk!

There was a Pheasant that cleared up after my horses when I lived in England. We have a few that mooch around my land here, they like to scare the crap out of you and suddenly jump up and fly away when you are virtually on top of them.

We have a few here but nowhere near what we had at our old place. Lol we had brood after brood and one we called Tucky that was hand fed by OH:D
Then we had an unusual mummy one and she lived five years plus which was unusual due to the amount of dogs and shooting that went on nearby. They were good characters. Mr Gillies used to come inside the caravan for cheese of a summer evening.

Reactions: Jessey and squidsin
Ooh I've never seen a white one.

I have two pheasant males in my field, one at the top, one at the bottom. The one at the top has 4 ladies who are all busily brooding in the long-grass section in the middle of my track. He looks after them just like a cockerel. The one at the bottom is just as handsome to my eye, but he has not a bird to call his own. Go figure. Does his breath smell? Does he have pheasant BO?

Reactions: squidsin
Ooh I've never seen a white one.

I have two pheasant males in my field, one at the top, one at the bottom. The one at the top has 4 ladies who are all busily brooding in the long-grass section in the middle of my track. He looks after them just like a cockerel. The one at the bottom is just as handsome to my eye, but he has not a bird to call his own. Go figure. Does his breath smell? Does he have pheasant BO?

I just looked it up online and it seems it must have been an albino one! Unless I am really confused about my birds but Iive in the middle of pheasant country so wouldn't have thought so!

They can get too brave had to wring a few or have them shot after they decided that a tracking you when you were feeding or going for the horses faces was the done thing.

Those are very nice looking birds. We had one who had the most violet plumage on his neck and chest, it was a shame when he was shot for going rogue.

newrider.com