Update from me

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I've not been around too much - Lockdown has kept my pretty busy!

But on a horsey front, you might remember I moved Pete last Autumn, to which I had hoped would be a long term yard, but sadly that didn't work out. My plan had been to try to wait it out to move to a yard my friend's are at and have him on a mix between Assisted DIY livery and Part livery (basically, paying the yard to do the chores and I do the most of the handling). But, it came to a bit of a head and I decided life was too short to wake up with dread at going to the yard (especially when I often needed to go down multiple times a day). I work long hours and my work can be pretty full on combined with my OH having Cystic Fibrosis, currently shielding (but also having sometimes quite complicated medical issues) and horses are supposed to be my down time. But with Pete's medical issues often meaning multiple visits a day, to somewhere I was dreading going (and often needing another person to visit with me) it was all getting a bit ridiculous.

At about the same time, an acquaintance I know from Natural Horsemanship circles has opened a track livery - so Pete's moved there on full livery. We had a very long hack there, which had it's moments but we got there in one piece ;)

The best thing is, he's close enough to visit daily and the YO has bags of experience and can cope with Pete's sensitivity. He's not been there long, but is settling in well :) I'm taking things slowly as it's a big change for him, but I'm hopeful this really helps him - as he's grass sensitive with a history of laminitis but also had started struggling with filling legs and stiffness when kept in. Since moving, he seems a hundred times better already :)

They have good hacking and a floodlit school, so we'll be able to explore and pick back up our work - but for now, I'm just taking my time to de-stress ;)

Hopefully, that's the last of our yard moves!

Hope everyone is keeping well :)

X

Last edited:
Hello lovely, so glad you’ve made the decision to move, sometimes I think we put up with bad things because we fear the changes. The new yard sounds amazing, just the sort of place I’d like to keep Belle at. I’m sure once Pete has fully settled in you’ll make great progress and it sounds like your mental health is already improved, like you said life is far too short to stay at a yard where you are so unhappy x

Reactions: PePo
Thank you @Kite_Rider - yes, it's so tricky as being in the South East, yards with genuine all year turn out can be tricky to find! But you're right, I'm so glad I moved as I feel a weight has been lifted already :)

I'm very lucky it cropped up when it did, as track livery is still very much a bit of a niche market so to have one within a do-able daily distance is rather amazing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy
That sounds like a wonderful new yard @Pete's Mum - just right for Pete and you. Long may he continue to thrive there. It's so difficult finding the right yard specially when you have a horse with different wants and needs to the run of the mill ones. A lot of yards are very black and white - one size fits all but we know that's not true.

I love the sound of his new yard. If I was going to open a yard that's what I would like to do! Could you tell me where it is? PM me if you like, but I am in the South East too and I'd like to look them up!

Good luck with the new arrangements - I hope it all runs smoothly from now on.

Brilliant I bet he’ll love track life, it’s different but works so well for those who struggle with grass and don’t do well cooped up :)

That sounds ideal. Hope it goes well. Had been wondering about you and your OH in lock down. We are also still locked in and I am handing my share over to my student grand daughter for the foreseeable. Her uni are distance teaching and term ends in 2 weeks. Am going a bit bonkers with no riding.

That sounds ideal. Hope it goes well. Had been wondering about you and your OH in lock down. We are also still locked in and I am handing my share over to my student grand daughter for the foreseeable. Her uni are distance teaching and term ends in 2 weeks. Am going a bit bonkers with no riding.

Aww, thank you! Yes, we are doing OK thanks. A bit bored now but getting by as best we can.

Hopefully you are able to get back riding soon :) It'a something I'm incredibly grateful was deemed ok to continue by his surgical team.

newrider.com