Update - Need to find a horse!

Wobblydeb

Jul 4, 2004
Northumberland, UK
Visit site
So..... I casually mentioned to my YO/RI that I am starting to look for a horse and would be looking for one like my favourite.... :)

..... and she casually mentioned that he wasn't for sale! :p

..... then said that horses like him were rare...

..... then asked if I had given any thought to his value... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I asked her to keep an eye out for anything in my budget, and have left it at that. If she wants to sell at a realistic price, she knows she has a buyer. :cool:

In the meantime, I bought the Adtrader and spoken to the owner of this, which I am going to see on Wednesday:

Horse 15. 2hh Bay gelding tbx 6yrs, 100% in heavy traffic, hacks out alone or in company, hunted last season, has great potential, would go far in the right hands, for sale through no fault of his own Price: £3500.00

I am also off to see a horse that they've got at my (potential) livery yard on Thursday. She is a 16hh TBx chestnut mare, 8yr old and apparently a good jumper, bit poor at flatwork, but calm and sensible. Never going to be a super star, but a good allrounder. She's at a sensible price, so I'd have money to spend on schooling/lessons to improve the flatwork.

I know it's bad, but I cannot seem to get excited about other horses compared to my RS horse. Terrified :eek: but not excited! It just seems so daunting to try and assess a horses personality in just a couple of trials. I will not know what these horses are like if they get limited winter turnout, or come into season :confused:

Well, I take it the livery yard came up to your standards then?! How exciting to be looking for 'the one'.... I know right now you think your RS horse is 'the one', but if it was, it would be for sale and you'd be buying it!

As it's not, that means that 'the one' for you is still out there somewhere, waiting for you to view it:D It is scary, I know, especially with Mares, as you don't know if you're going to be landed with a hormona lemon... I'd suggest doing what I did, go look, if you like try, if you still like try again, if you still like ask for a trial period- at your yard or theirs if it's close enough to be practical. If you can't have a trial period, walk away- if after three days you're pining for that horse, go get it vetted, and if it passes buy it. If you can get a trial period, use it wisely, do all the stuff you want to do with it in the trial period, or ask someone else if you're nervous to do it for you- ride in an open field, jump, shcool, hack out alone and in company, box it to the beach, whatever it is YOU want.... if it copes with all you want it to do without showing any really malicious tendencies, get it vetted and if it passes, buy it!

Now this is the hard part- buy it with EVERY intention of selling it on in 6-8 months if you don't get on with it or it turns out to have 'problems' not disclosed to you... this is what I did with Dolly, and came very close to sending her back before the trial was up, and thought about selling her a couple of times in the first few months- but I'm so glad now that I gave her 'six months' to settle, I can't imagine ever being without her now!:D

Good luck with the viewings, and keep us updated!

I don't know anything about your experience so please excuse me if this sounds rude but the one line in that ad that sets alarm bells ringing is 'would go far in the right hands' ie: I'm a bit of a nutter and me mam can't handle me:eek:
Good luck with the search.

:rolleyes:
Bobbin said:
I don't know anything about your experience so please excuse me if this sounds rude but the one line in that ad that sets alarm bells ringing is 'would go far in the right hands' ie: I'm a bit of a nutter and me mam can't handle me:eek:
I know what you mean!!! I have been told he is sane, sensible, not spooky and stoppable. If she is telling the truth with "100% in heavy traffic and hacks out alone" then I am a long way towards what I am looking for though, so it is a dilemma! :rolleyes:

The "X" of the TBX is apparently a coloured cob, and he shows some laid back tendencies ..... apparently. ;)

Gill said:
What kind of horse are you looking for? What do you want to do with him/her? Just in case I hear of one for sale, you never know. Are you adamant about 'horse' not interested in ponies?
I'm looking for a 14-16hh with a calm, non-spooky personality. Main priority is good at hacking (alone or in company) and able to do some schooling. Doesn't need to be able to jump, drive or be good looking or fantastically well bred! :D I would happily look at a loan if someone had something good natured they need to retire to an easier life :)

I like ponies, but can find them a bit zippy personality wise and would be looking for a large stocky version which seem a bit thin on the ground. I saw a 14 yr old Dales for sale last year that would have been ideal - if only it was still available! :)

Is this going to be your first horse? If so I would steer clear of a youngster (and I would class a 6 year old as a youngster).
Also at todays prices a 6 year old that really would "go far in the right hands" would be for sale for a helluvalot more than that, I suspect their definitition of go far is not the same as mine :rolleyes:

I have to echo the caution. For a first horse, be very, very wary of 'in the right hands' - it almost certainly means there is some sort of problem. I'd be inclined to think that a 6 year old might be too young anyway, though they do vary.

Have you got someone going with you to see him? The ideal, IMO, is to take someone who knows you and your riding ability really well, and whose riding you know really well. Then both ride the horse and compare notes. If you have any alarm bells ringing, don't buy him! I made the mistake of buying a horse despite a niggle about him - and it was entirely the wrong horse for me. I lost over £4000 on him by the time I'd paid full schooling livery to sell and then sold him at a loss!

Good luck :)

Ross

We're a miserable bunch arent we!!

Seriously we only know this after having first hand experience of buying an unsuitable horse and like Ross I was left out of pocket to the tune of about 2k on all the stuff I bought then had to sell on cheap and extra schooling sessions and 2 saddles.

If I had found NR before I'd bought Grady I'm sure I wouldn't have bought him.

I bought my boy as a 15month old colt - I nearly had a 19 yr old connemara x tb but am so glad I got him as he is so good!
Sometimes practicalities can go out the window and gut instinct just takes over

benslieblue said:
I bought my boy as a 15month old colt - I nearly had a 19 yr old connemara x tb but am so glad I got him as he is so good!
Sometimes practicalities can go out the window and gut instinct just takes over

Unfortunatly you are an excpetion and not the rule, good on you though.

I've decided to cancel my visit to see the 6yr old. Your comments have made me see sense :p 100% in heavy traffic and hacks alone is great but I need it coupled to the words "suitable for novice". :D

I've just spoken to a dealer who was recommended to me, so am keeping my fingers crossed that she can find something suitable. :)

You will find your perfect partner I promise and in the process you'll see some right turkeys.

Good luck.

I looked at hundreds of horses before a chance conversation led me to the one I eventually bought.
I do think you will know the right one when you meet it. I turned down several for no apparant reason other than gut feeling. One of those was still for sale over a year later....can't help but wonder why.

Bobbin thanks for saying that (it was nice)

Wobblydeb - you will KNOW when its the right one - remember have to snog loads of frogs to meet your prince (am not saying to snog the horses in case get strange looks from their owners but its just the gist of it)

Okay I do give Ben wee snogs cos he definetly my prince (compared to the male species so far that I have met!!) :D

Hi Wobblydeb
I feel excited for you but it is a mine field out there:eek: I was told my first horse was this and that and he was sold 6 months after buying him as just not what I was looking for the sellers were completely not honest and as a novice rider I did not know what to look for and what to ask the horse at the trial ride. I have a great riding instructor who was prepared to come out and trial ride the horse for me ie hack it, ride out alone and with company take the horse through all the paces in open fields and in the school and knowing my riding and capabilities make a judgement before I even got on and did the same again. My advice would be do not travel miles and try and look for horses around your local that people know. Sorry to be a bore but trust me I have learnt the very hard way and it has cost me falls injuries and alot of money in the past.

Echo a lot of advice already - buyer beware - don't trust anyone but then you have to take a gamble.

Not sure I totally agree with not even going to see the six year old - I have a four year old - five in a few months - and we are getting on just fine.

xx

Dee

the perfect horse?

I have a wee smile to myself when I see some ads for horses :) :)
If anyone ever finds a 'bomb proof horse, good in every way' I would like to meet this paragon of virtue!!:)
Buying a horse is a gamble, you really have to be prepared for everything. But, I would say that if you just pass them on and get another one, you only end up with another set of problems. So unless the horse is dangerous I think you should persevere and try to get to know one another.

newrider.com