Update on our gang in Shetland

Esther.D

Jan 3, 2003
Shetland!
maenoferren.mysite.freeserve.com
I am aware you have not really had an update since we first moved up at Easter.

Things have been rather mad with a relocation at short notice with a small baby etc etc etc and now I have been diagnosed with an underactive thyriod I have an explanation for my lack of energy etc which hasn't helped the whole process.......

Well we have had a mixed year this year. The move went well and we haven't regretted it even if it hasn't been the smoothest of rides since then..

The down of 2006 has to have been Mac dying a few weeks ago aged 25 :(

But there have been plenty of good times too!

Pablo has chilled out a lot since coming up here and did fantastically over the summer with his longreining and was happily letting me lean over him and wore a full driving harness as well without a flicker. He is also fat and happy even now despite no feed, still out 24/7 and no rug (normally he has dropped weight by this time, even rugged and fed!).

Alfie has proved to be worth his weight in gold - he is sooooo good, a real safe cob. He is just a complete sweetheart and the highlight of his year has to be his first show...where he won the championship (admittedly it was a very small show but you have to start somewhere! ) and won the 'best trained horse' trophy..against himself... however he deserved it as he did all the tests of obedience the judge asked brilliantly, despite me only teaching him to back up for the first time the day before! and I think deserved it anyway for being loaded too early and then unloaded with a rope round his neck and having his bridle put on IN the class when we got our times muddled up! :eek:
Alfie.jpg

He then proceeded to dress up in his western gear the next day to take part in the 'wild west extravaganza' (fundraising event) and have his photo taken to raise money for the local church beside a bouncy castle in a strong wind..and didn't move even when the minister's stetson blew off straight into his face! :eek: He is such a star.
Alfie1-1.jpg

Rupert did some ridden work this summer and was good, quieter than before despite almost a year off when I was pregnant and Beth was little, but hasn't done much as I am a bit heavy for him still.

Gallie hasn't done much this year (apart from show himself up in the performance pony class of the Shetland Pony show...he decided he was a stallion and screamed the whole time and reared...and he is 15 and a gelding.... )

Bobby went to his first show too and was third and behaved himself so that was good.

Polo disgraced himself in the private driving class at the Shetland Pony show by refusing to stand still :eek: although he drove beautifully, so we were fourth. But he redeemed himself by winning the cones class despite being 20 he hadn't forgotten his competing days!

polo-2-at-viking1.jpg

All in all we have had a quiet but successful year and hope for a lot more next year :)

Rupert is due to go off on loan once the weather gets a bit better for the ferry crossing to a very good home in lowland Scotland where he can have more work and attention with a lighter adult rider.

Oh and Beth had her first birthday last week, how time flies! :eek:
JipandBeth.jpg

And what is a whippet nose designed for, if not to stack rings on?

We always thought Celt had a pencil or nozzle, Lotte was a felt pen, thick marker type, But Sut is a pair of tweezers. The kind of vacuum nozzle for worse than the back of the sofa!

Lovely to hear that things are going well for the ponies. Sorry to hear about your health problems and poor lovely Mac though. Beth looks like she is growing up fast - can't believe its been a year already!

Have a wonderful Xmas:D

aawh what a sweet girl! And what a beautiful head of hair, at age one my boys were still bald with a "Mohawk" strip of blond hair on top of their heads, only. They would pitch a true fit if they saw this - they are now almost 15. :p

Sounds like a hard, but good year.

Beth is just beautiful - all small children need a dog to poke! It doesn't get any better - my little one is three and still comes at the dog with teeth clenched and hands in strangle-mode because she loves her...

Alfie sounds like a star. Fantastic to hear of Pablo's progress too - well done. He is one of those horses who just grabs you, somehow... lovely to hear he's doing so well :) .

Hope you get the thyroid sorted; my Taid had an underactive thyroid and felt so much better once it was treated.

Have fun next year! :D

OMG, your baby has hair! She's gorgeous.

And Alfie... how long will it take me to row a boat from Shetland to the Gulf of Mexico? He looks phenomenal. A real looker. Love your Western get-up. The Barefoot looks really good, too!

Thyroids should be easy to fix, right?

Sounds like a hard, but good year.
Fantastic to hear of Pablo's progress too - well done. He is one of those horses who just grabs you, somehow... lovely to hear he's doing so well :) .

Hence the reason he is still with us 5 years on even when we are terminally skint and he is still a pasture ornament :rolleyes: But he is PABLO we couldn't part with him unless we absolutely had to.

OMG, your baby has hair! She's gorgeous.

And Alfie... how long will it take me to row a boat from Shetland to the Gulf of Mexico? He looks phenomenal. A real looker. Love your Western get-up. The Barefoot looks really good, too!

Thyroids should be easy to fix, right?

Someone tried to buy him off the dock as soon as we arrived on Shetland :D He is gorgeous and a complete star, he is our good karma for spending all that time on Pablo :cool:

Thyriod should be easy and will be once they have decided what to do (apparently mine is odd for some reason :rolleyes: ), but have had 6 months of monitoring while they decide whether to do anything about it and now they have written to a consultant in Aberdeen for advice...thorough which is good, but I would like it sorted NOW :p

Mine had hair and was walking at 10 months.......be thankful for small mercies!
;) ;)

Now he's got a gob on him and more smart asre answers than he's entitled to!

What a lovely update.

I can't believe that your little girl is a year old already:eek:

Happy Christmas

xx

Great to hear from you - I was beginning to think that your computer had died on the journey over:D

Update great, but sorry to hear about Mac. I did wonder when you didn't mention him in a previous post.

I see that Beth has inherited your curls!

Good to hear you're settling in well despite a few blips along the way. Can hardly believe how big Beth is :eek: the last time I saw her she was a few weeks old in her car seat.

Great to hear from you Esther - at last - blimey, it MUST be Christmas!!! ;)

Like RiverWild, I cannot believe Beth is a year old already... where has the time gone? As I was reading your initial post I was thinking "Baby news? Baby news?" so I'm glad she got a mention. What a year it has been for you.... so much activity - but lots of good bits.

Hope you get your thyroid balance right... it takes a little time I'm sure...

Merry Crimbo hun xxxxx

newrider.com