Urgent Advice Required

xLucyloox

Aug 30, 2005
This is as quick as i can make it,it's an urgent post, so please if you can, help. My horse lives in an open planned stable of two, so she can see the horse next to her, usually I never let my other horse in for feed, as he doesn't require hay (highland) so just leave the top window of his stable door open, so she can look out and sometimes see him, so she's not lonely. Today I closed it (not for the first time) and left her as usual. I went up about 5mins ago and she hadn't touched her hay, only eaten half of her feed and was stood, miserable in the stable. BUT there was white, thick phegm coming out of her nose and mouth, and it was in puddles everywhere around the stable, she was coughing it up as well as snorting.
Is this JUST because she may have been screaming for her pal, as she was alone, although her top door was open, facing my house, or is it something more serious? I have let her back out again but need to know whether to call the vet. please help

I really wouldn't have thought it was because of the other horse as she can see him i would just check her over just in cause something is up and then you can treat her quickly. Hope she gets better soon!!!

If she has coughed up that amount of phlegm and she is also of her food and looking sorry for herself. I would be inclined to call the vet. I don't mean to panic you but it does suond like strangles.

It may well be something else but my advice would be call the vet. Make sure she has access to plenty of water too. It may just be a virus or a cold but best to get her checked out.

She couldn't see the other horse, my mum (who knows next to nothing about horses) says she's probably just frightened, as she gets very nervous when he's not away. Other people say she may have choked? The thing is I saw and fed her this morning and she ate it up like usual and looked forward to her bucket after school and just before i shut the other top stable door, she was eating like no tomorrow.
I have let her out in her field again but will return in about half an hour to offer food etc. she has plenty water.
Strangles?! Do you suspect so?! There was an outbreak in Aberdeen in the Summer but she hasn't been near any other horses (kept privately) apart from my highland, who hasn't either?

i hope this doesnt sound rude but if you are worried i think you should be on the phone to the vet asking their advice rather than asking on here. People opn here are very helpful, but if your horse needs urgent attention your vet is the best person advise you. Better to be over cautious i think than regret not contacting them soon enough :)

No I don't feel you are being rude at all. The thing is I called a friend, who's an expert on horsey stuff etc. and she reckons it's choke. My vet lives a long way out and without serious cases, he won't come out at night. She's not coming when I call her, even though the other horse in the field will come at a gallop, she stands miserable. I have called the vet when I thought it was urgent before and it never has been, touch wood, I don't want to waste him time. I am about to catch her to see how she is.

I wouldnt worry about wasting his time - he wont be doing it for free will he ;) and its not wasted if you feel it is necessary regardless of what they might think, thats my opinion anyway. If it were mine i would have called my vet if only for their opinion over the phone. Let us know how she is :)

There was a strangles attack near us! Actually VERY near us but our stables got treated straight away! Its VERY sersious! We were lucky! We were the only stables in our area that didn't get affected! I nearly had a mini heart attack when I heard how close the stables where were it was! I was like get the vet out now!!!! I would call your vet anyways or at least call him! Just to be safe! You can never be too safe with a horses health!

Sounds exactly like what happened when my horse choked. Looking at the time of your post it's probably all sorted in some way by now, but if you didn't get a vet at the time then it is a good idea to get one out for antibiotics as choke producing that much phlegm can cause an infection in the lungs if some of it gets breathed in which is quite likely. I do think it sounds more like choke than strangles, there's plenty of snot with strangles, but don't go from fine to masses of gunk that quickly.

hi, i may be wrong but i believe strangles is thick yellow discharge from nostrils, they usually hang head down and appear lethargic. that doesnt sound like yours. hope some help, does soound like choke. jay

Lol yes it is old. Since my last post back in jan my horse has suffered from two VERY serious bouts of choke(He's alright now). So now that I know what it looks like I would be inclined to think it was choke.

How is the horse? Did you find out what was wrong?

Often choke just fixes its self but, as I found out, sometimes it doesn't and you really should call the vet imediatly incase it gets worse in a hurry.

newrider.com