Urgent - please read

Hi
My friends pony has cushings and her treatment from the vets was £100 a month too but... there is something you can get from the pharmacy, some pills you can get a vet to write you a prescription and go and pick them up its like £8 per box and they work wonders! Soo much cheaper! Id get your friend to ask the vet about them, alot of vets recomend them round here.:):)

£100 a month, yikes!! Is that for peroglide?? My horse is on peroglide- my vet sourced the human drug for me, which is much cheaper than the horse drug. One 1mg tablet is costing me roughly 88p. Thankfully my horse only needs half a tablet per day.

Hi
My friends pony has cushings and her treatment from the vets was £100 a month too but... there is something you can get from the pharmacy, some pills you can get a vet to write you a prescription and go and pick them up its like £8 per box and they work wonders! Soo much cheaper! Id get your friend to ask the vet about them, alot of vets recomend them round here.:):)

Thank you. As far as i'm aware the drug has no human equivalent i.e it can't be bought in a pharmacy, but it's worth a try :)

Last edited:
what about some of the horse sancturies down south, i think there is a redwings and a few others! Its only a few hours in a horse box if they would take him

Am I the only one who thinks the owner should have had insurance? I always believe someone should only own a horse if they can afford it fully, if not be insured!!!

Am I the only one who thinks the owner should have had insurance? I always believe someone should only own a horse if they can afford it fully, if not be insured!!!

This is an unfair assesment of the owner, whom you dont know from Adam. I know of people who own horses who do insure, and they have all the wordly goods... but the horses lead a rough and misrable life.

This is an unfair assesment of the owner, whom you dont know from Adam. I know of people who own horses who do insure, and they have all the wordly goods... but the horses lead a rough and misrable life.

I hardly know anyone from Adam on this board I still give my view.

I couldn't afford to spend 5k on my horse tomorrow if it came down with an illness, insurance is mandatory for someone like me, turning it in to a santuary when times get tought simply increases the strain these places are under. I think extended forethought is required when considering taking on a horse... inc having to spend £100 a month which really is only £25 per week - some people pay more than that on suppliments.

BUT you can pay insurance for years and once they get beyond a certain age i.e. 15 plus - you can on a lot of policies get accident only, not illness, and cushings tends to show up late in life.

I doubt i could justify spending £100 a week, out of my own funds, for my horse, given i have 4 others to support. i have 2 horses now that are slowly creeping towards the point when they are uninsurable. and one donkey beyond that and another one getting there soon.

Given I don't have private healthcare for myself, you sometimes DO have to call time on economic grounds. Not because you want to but because you are not a bottomless pit.

Healthcare rationing is happening now for people, so it's not surprising that for animals it is even worse. Most charities cannot/will not take on a horse that is going to cost them buckets every month.

I hope you find help at some stage, I think red wings is a good one, again depending on amounts of £ signs, but for others to comments on insurance yes hinsight is good but heh ho, we only human and things happen, that life. I hope all goes well big hug.

I hope you find help at some stage, I think red wings is a good one, again depending on amounts of £ signs, but for others to comments on insurance yes hinsight is good but heh ho, we only human and things happen, that life. I hope all goes well big hug.

Indeed, hindsight is a wonderful thing!! Thank you :)

newrider.com