Urghhhh!! Bloody yards!! wwyd update

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Ahhh. Where do I start?!:mad::mad: Bloody yards! Which I had my own place at times I really do!!
A while ago one of the yard horses had a nasty cut on its leg. I was getting the vet down for sox and ginger, and looking after the liveries horse as they couldn't get down. I spoke to the owner on the phone after sending them photos. The owner told me to 'cold hose it and get them to check it out/ look out it' Which I did. The vet came, treated it. Job done. I updated the owner, no issues. However a few days to a week after I was informed that the livery 'apparently' never gave consent for the horse to be treated and therefore I would be paying for the call out and examination for the horse. Though the owner would pay for the drugs ( Antibiotics and bute). I was told today I owe the vets £70. I told the owner I will pay for the call out fee however I wont be paying for the
examination when I had verbal consent from them.
This is really frustrating me! If they were that against having the vet. Why the f**k didn't they bollock me that day when I rang to tell them how it went? If they didn't want the vet!?! Why would they agree to pay for the drugs? Why would they leave it a few days to tell me?!
Also if someone told me they didn't want a vet I wouldn't have got a bloody vet!! I aren't like that!
The latest trick their trying to pull is they aren't registered with the vets. If that's the case ( highly doubt) Why did the vet treat the horse? If they aren't registered they have to pay the full amount upfront.

Bloody yards!!!

Oh dear. That's not good when you were doing your best to help. They should have made it crystal clear on the phone under no circumstances did they want vet treatment. Sorry you're having hassle. :(

If the owner asked you to have the vet look at it, and you acted on their instructions, altho verbal, I cant see that they have a case for making you pay the vet fee for the examination. Call out, yes, as you were having the vet for your own horse.
It would seem sensible for you to put something in writing to both the vet and the owner - there are lawyers sometimes on NR who could advise you. But otherwise citizens advice perhaps?

Reactions: MrA and lauren123
There isn't a call out fee because the vet was visiting you.
You would have given the vet their details and they would be billing them directly anyway.
If they won't pay for the examination, they do not get to keep the bute and antibiotics either then! They want those then they pay for the examination! Up to vet to chase them up.

Do not get involved with calling anything for anyone, do you have a yard manager/ owner, let them deal with it.

Reactions: Cortrasna
If the owner asked you to have the vet look at it, and you acted on their instructions, altho verbal, I cant see that they have a case for making you pay the vet fee for the examination. Call out, yes, as you were having the vet for your own horse.
It would seem sensible for you to put something in writing to both the vet and the owner - there are lawyers sometimes on NR who could advise you. But otherwise citizens advice perhaps?
Hmmmm are they lawyers on here?? I think I will ring them actually.
I would never have told the vet see the horse if I didn't have consent. I would have left it.

There isn't a call out fee because the vet was visiting you.
You would have given the vet their details and they would be billing them directly anyway.
If they won't pay for the examination, they do not get to keep the bute and antibiotics either then! They want those then they pay for the examination! Up to vet to chase them up.

Do not get involved with calling anything for anyone, do you have a yard manager/ owner, let them deal with it.
I think they may have already have used the bute... Not that I know, but they said they would pay for the drugs. If they said no they didn't want a vet, why not question me that day when I told them what the vet said? Or send the drugs back. arghh :(

Whose the bill addressed to? If it's them then I don't see a problem - refuse to pay, they don't have a leg to stand on because the horse had treatment & drugs so plainly needed to be seen. If it's you then it's a bit trickier because you don't want to get a bad history with the vet - though given that it's your vet it might not be the end of the world! - so I'd be inclined to threaten them with the Small Claims Court to recover any amount you have to pay on their behalf. They should count themselves lucky, if the horse hadn't had prompt treatment there could have been a much bigger bill.

Hmmmm - in a fair world the call out fee would be split between you and the other owner as you both had the vet come out to your horses at the same time - is the vet trying to double the call out charge by charging you both for that part of the bill - in other words they get a double call out fee? Or is he just charging you for the call out as he was out to you anyway - in which case suck it up and pay the call out fee to your horse, never mind the other one, not your problem. You need to speak to YOUR vet and make it absolutely clear you are only responsible for your horse and your horse's call out fee and medication.

Moral here - send owner pics of injury etc. and then let them call THEIR vet out if they deem it necessary, not even sure why you were instructed to cold hose and get YOUR vet to look at it - are you a paid groom for liverys at this yard? :rolleyes:

Just don’t interact. She will be billed by the vets directly for her horses treatment.

Take nothing more to do with it.
ok... I don't want to end up in court myself, I worry.

Whose the bill addressed to? If it's them then I don't see a problem - refuse to pay, they don't have a leg to stand on because the horse had treatment & drugs so plainly needed to be seen. If it's you then it's a bit trickier because you don't want to get a bad history with the vet - though given that it's your vet it might not be the end of the world! - so I'd be inclined to threaten them with the Small Claims Court to recover any amount you have to pay on their behalf. They should count themselves lucky, if the horse hadn't had prompt treatment there could have been a much bigger bill.
The livery, not me. LOL The vet already told me the leg was infected. I always keep ontop of my bills. I will confirm with them tomorrow they let me pay monthly aslong as above a certain %.
Its just really annoyed me. If she was adamant she didn't want the vet why not seriously question me when I updated her on her horse and how the vet had been down and the horse has to have X,Y and Z! I would never ever dream of doing it without her consent! If she has said no I would have said its just sox and ginger!

Thought k would update you all.
My damaged car is due to go into repair tomorrow. However when I got the money I was short by a long. Turns out I was short by the amount I apparent owe the vet. They said I pay the bill they give me the money so it' a straight swap. I said I need the money and if not I will go through insurance. So they have given me the money in the end.
However they still want me to pay for the bill. When I asked why they didn' bollock me that same day it was because I had been going through shit. When I asked about the drugs they said they were there ( as to why they would pay)
This is really stressing me out and I am fed up of been hounded for this Bill, fed up of all the hassle.
Wwyd.

You don't pay the vet bill, and don't contribute to it either because that would be admitting responsibility.

I don't understand it either but I don't always understand social media speak. Who is hounding you for the bill @lauren123? The vet or the other livery. Were you short of the money to pay the garage for the car and why was it the same amount as the vet bill? Or was that just coincidence? You do sound really stressed, please don't get yourself into a state because of these bullies x

Completely lost.
The first part of the post makes no sense to me about a car and a swap.
The person's oh drives into my car ( accident). They gave me some of the money for the repairs but left out the amount I apparently owe the vet. Basically saying do a straight swap they will give me the money I need for the car and I pay the bill.

Who have the vets addressed the bill to?

I guess their interpretation of having the 'vet check it out/look at it' is perhaps the vet giving verbal advice and not a proper examination. But anyone with half a brain knows that a vet won't look at anything unless someone is paying for it, and anyone with the horses best interests at heart would actually want the vet's advice.

To get out of this situation, could you meet her half way and pay 50% each? And then learn from it and don't be involved with any of her horses in future. You shouldn't have to and it isn't right, but sometimes it is worth taking the easy way out for some peace in the long run.

Reactions: lauren123
newrider.com