Using 'normal' products on a nubuck saddle?

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
I have a new saddle and I wasnt paying attention when I bought it, but it turns out its an open grained leather (also know as nubuck).

Well in terms of care, what a pain in the ass! Special products required, none of which are sold at my local tack or shoe shops, scratches really easy (stirrups are making a mess of it already!)

So Im thinking - it I were to use just a normal leather care product whats the worst that would happen? Im not fussed in the slightest if it goes a bit darker or a bit shinier I just dont want to totally 'wreck' the leather. I do however want it to be able to be cleaned, be a bit waterproof, durable and protect it a little.

So, if I were to use something like the oft recommended kho-cho-line, would it matter?

sbloom

Really sorry but I've never come across a nubuck saddle so can't advise. If you're happy to let the nap flatten then there's a post I've just made on the tack cleaning thread which outlines my recommended process and products. Otherwise I guess you'd have to treat as suede which means you really can't condition it, and just use a brush to raise the nap.

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
I used normal leather products on my barefoot cheyenne until I realised you had to use special nubuck products.. by that point it was too late and it had gone shiny. Don't think it ruins it but just changes its appearance.

I think any products you can use for suede are suitable for nubuck.

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I think you can get some urad cram for nubuck saddles,but I think they turn shiny anyway after a while.

How are you getting on with your new saddle?

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
Think I'm just going to whack on some kho cho line as it comes so highly recommended by the saddlers. Thanks for the input. Won't be riding much for a little while as we went barefoot today so have some time to lavish on my saddle :)
How are you getting on with your new saddle?

I have really struggled with the width and my hips really hurt for several weeks. Just as I got used to it, yesterday I realised my right leg was further back then my left so worked on pulling it back. I was back to not being able to walk and struggled to lift my leg to clutch so driving home was interesting!

My only complaint would be that the leather is very soft and is being wrecked by my stirrup leathers. I bought nose band covers for the leathers yesterday (hence why I noticed one leg was forward as the 'lumps' under my legs were uneven!)

Otherwise I like it and am happy with the nice even sweat patches :)

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I'm just experimenting with a twist bolster and inserts in my pad that help with twist on my Torsion saddle as after a few hours in the saddle it gets quite wide, seems to be working so far. Something to help with twist might be worth looking into if you are struggling with it.

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
I'm just experimenting with a twist bolster and inserts in my pad that help with twist on my Torsion saddle as after a few hours in the saddle it gets quite wide, seems to be working so far. Something to help with twist might be worth looking into if you are struggling with it.

Ill see how we go for now. I had literally just got to the ride and still walk normally afterwards stage when I relaised my left leg was being weird! If I cant get used to it, Ill start having a look around for stuff :biggrin:

Russet

Nov 14, 2009
I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that if you use products for normal leather, nubuck becomes normal leather as it becomes shinier. May be worth googling?

Vez

Nov 3, 2006
Wylam, Northumberland
Hello, I work in a shoe shop and have been told that using products such as a smooth leather polish will turn the nubuck shoes into a smooth leather, this therefore should suggest the same for saddles :) so you should be fine using leather products on the saddle to protect it x