UV and Fly Rug

Pluto

Dec 31, 2008
I just got my boy a UV protection and fly rug, obviously I will use it for the flies as you would normally, but when shall I use it for the UV protection, all day, every day? or just when its hot say above 20 degrees?? Any advice would be a great help:confused:

During the summer, flies will probably be around most of the time, so you may as well use it every day. UVA and UVB rays go through the cloud, so don't be misled by a cloudy day!

But I think it usually depends on how sensitive your horse is to the sun? I.e. Does the horse have pink on the nose, and particularly pink/white skin? I'm no expert but don't forget horses have evolved to live outside, so I don't imagine they are suseptible to skin cancer? I'm sure the hair mostly protects the vulnerable skin.

Most healthy horses cope ok in the heat, and will seek shade, so as long as the horse has a bit of shelter, should be ok?

Thanks for your reply Billy, he is predominantly white and unfortunately there is no natural shade or shelter in the paddock until early evening, hence the UV rug.

I usually just smother Storm's muzzle and around her eye area with factor 50 (she's grey - slowly going white). I have a fly rug for both of ours, but don't use them until the really nasty horse-flies appear.

Probably mostly only need to worry about burning when it's hot (even if it's cloudy). Not so much if it's cooler, it's still quite early in the year. But if you're worried might be worth leaving the rug on, keeps them clean too! As said by Trewsers, suncream on the nose and eyes probably sensible, or a good head fly mask!

newrider.com