Vaccinations

I know many people who do tetanus vaccines every couple of years and nothing else, but their horses are rarely off-site. I think if you are going to shows and clinics and mixing with a variety of horses on a regular basis, I would really rather be covered. There is a note on my insurance that states that vaccinations must be kept up to date, so anyone who decides not to follow a yearly vaccination schedule should check their policies to make sure that the policy will support it. Some state "regular" vaccinations, rather than "annual" so on that basis and some policies don't mention vaccinations at all so long as the horse is cared for and kept in good health.

No they don't. You can get tetanus vaccines that last 2 or 3 years for horses. Don't you think it odd that human vaccine lasts 10yrs? Or am I the only one that thinks we're being conned?

horses are more prone to tetnus because it lies in the ground and a little cut on the leg that has went unnoticed can get infected with the tetnus virus very easily,we no when we have a cut and no to keep it clean etc.. the horse has to rely on us to notice his cuts and scrapes hence why it should be done at least once a year.

Thanks a mil, i don't go to shows or anything but there are lots of other horses around so I'll get it done to be on the safe side.:)

the flu/tet combined jabs must be given within 365 days otherwise you will have to restart the whole course again. Unless your horses are kept in a same herd environment where they do not come into any contact with other horses then it is best to have the combined vaccine otherwise just a tetanus jab given every other year is fine.

Mine have just been done and only got a flu jag again for the second year in a row and I regularly compete at British Dressage.

Spoke with vet and he said that they will be due a flu & Tet next year so it must be every tree years

Ah no they DONT need Tet every year. Like someone else mentioned it depends on the brand of vaccine your vet uses. In BOTH my horses passports you can clearly see every alternate year they get a flu and tetanus jab, but the flu one is done yearly.

Same goes for Dog vaccinations, there are brands out there that you DONT have to have them done every year. The main that has be to be done is Leptospirosis, the brand my vet uses (I changed vets to them as I'm very wary of over vaccination) boosters the remainder of the jabs they have (distemper etc) every 3 years. Cheaper for me and I believe healthier for the dogs.

If only using a flu vaccine for health and you never compete or hack near other horses then my vet has advised you could go every 18 months. We used to do that with my old Shetland who died recently. He never went off the yard but he was old and more vulnerable to infections. As some of the other ponies do go out and might have brought infections back and given them to him we kept his vaccination current for health but not for competition.

This is what my vet recommended as well, but as we hack out on the forest alot and sometimes the NF ponies come down with different things we've always kept them on the yearly jab. As it's not worth the risk (but that's just my opinion) if I lived somewhere that didnt have loose ponies where I hack out or I was only on bridleways then I'd do the 18month rule as well :)

newrider.com