Vaccinations

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
Just a query, not a witch hunt, but just for discussion

Who does not vaccinate there horses at all?

What's your vaccination routine if you do, ie what ones do you have and what ones do you not bother with?

We have flu annually and tetanus every other year. If we had our own place I would probably not vaccinate - but as we come into contact with other horses I do vaccinate -I see it as protecting my horses and also my duty to others to not put theier horses at unnecessary risk

I saw this earlier and didn't reply as I had Ben's jabs done today as he was being scanned anyway for his tendon. I asked her what was recommended and up until about 5 years ago both flu and tetanus were annually boosted. The manufacturers have now said that it will be actually be ok for two years so vets do it every other year... although this does vary from practice to practice and even vet to vet.

It works out a pound extra to vaccinate for both opposed to just the flu - so not exactly money saving to be honest.

Ben had flu this year and next year he'll have the tetanus as well. With horses she said it would be very irresponsible not to vaccinate against it and being around horses as well, make sure your jabs are up to date as well. It doesn't take a lot for it to get infected.

Anyone read The War Horse? You wouldn't miss a tetanus jab again if you do... horrible illness that it ia!

I didnt realise that they could be given as seperate injections. When the previous owner said that he reacted badly to the flu jab. I opted for not being vaccinated, like i said not knowing they could be given as seperate jabs. Anyway, was talking to another vet i use for my cows and sheep and mentioned about having the horse, cant for the life of me remember how it came about but he was the one that told me the jabs could be seperate and said that I really ort to have the tet one done. Horse without tet jabs can suffer horribly and end up being put down.
So I went back to my vet I use for the horse and got them to check the history of when the previous owner had it done and they said he was still covered, so I could get away with just giving the booster. So I got him done last year.

When I got Lily last year I intended to keep up with all her jabs but time went by and I sort of forgot and then it was to late for the flu booster so I opted to leave it and catch up this year...

I'm now planning to stick with the routine of flu every year and tet every other year - will definitely try not to miss the date for the booster in future!

All of mine are done for flu & tetanus. Flu annually, tetanus bi-annual. Bi-annual tetanus been recommended for quite a few years now.
Peri & Belle are also done for EHV, Tavia isn't because she has had an adverse reaction to it in the past. EHV is done at 5, 7 & 9 months of pregnancy for the broodies and 6 monthly for the competition horses.

My boy always used to have flu/tet annually, but following a reaction to the flu jab a few years ago, he now only has the tetanus. He doesn't go off the yard so is low risk :happy:

When we werent out and about i didnt bother but as soon as we started mixing with other horses we got them restarted and we have annual flu and the 2 year tetanus. Most rides and organised stuff insist on flu vaccs and if they dont they should!

Just tetanus, bi annually, we had a chat with the vet about it and as ours don't mix with other horses we haven't had the flu done, but if I was to change to a busy yard or actually go to things with her then I would start it.

I have had Raf done and will have annual boosters as we are on a livery yard and might want to go out and about. Raf had a really bad reaction to his last flu jab though so vet says we will have to try a different one next time. Does make you think twice about all the toxins you're putting into their body though.

Had the vet out and have only gone with the tetanus for now, although I learned that you can give the tetanus jab yourself, so I can just pick up the villas and do the injection myself in future, my vet is lovely though, she made me so proud of me and my ponies today, she was saying how well they looked compared to others coming out of winter, even minnie for twenty years old she was really complimentary, she is so nice to them as well and you can tell she loves horses and knows concerns of owners well, left me in a great mood and great experience from my vets:biggrin:

Ps and saves me call out fees in future:biggrin:

newrider.com