Vaulting on a pony?

fishiz3434

May 13, 2006
West Aus
I'm just starting to get into Vaulting but the only horse which is appropriate for all the riders interested is a pony...does anyone know if their is anything wrong with doing vaulting on ponies..this is a strong pony and is the strongest of all...he is just a bit stuborn but if he has two people pushing him on he will canter for a few circle...he's just a bit fat(ok obease) I'm just concered cos i've never scene anyone use a small orse or pony for vaulting even though he'd be perfect.

here's a pic of the little guy...i've done a bit of vaulting on him but not wiht more than two people

GrumpyBuck.jpg

I used to teach vaulting and yes, you can use small ponies - Chivas was only 14.2hh. But you have to bear in mind they are not big weight carriers and can only manage two SMALL people on them. Two of me on a pony like that, with roller and pad would be carrying 20st plus :eek: :( That just isn't fair - even if they are just walking. No wonder the poor pony is being 'stubborn' in canter with 2people on:eek: :(

Small ponies are great, although their back often isn't really long enough and their stride too short and not balanced enough to carry well in canter.

The proffesionaly valuting teams have a weight limit and once your over 18yrs (i.e your adult weight) your no longer allowed to compete as a team - you have to go individually.

I certainly woulnd't be letting two people on that pony (he's not even very heavy) unless they were both under 8st and balanced vaulters.

should be fine for basic stuff, but once you get to the more elaborate bits where there's a couple of you on the horse, you may run out of space on the pony's back :D

ie. for competitive vaulting, you'd need a big horse, but if it's just a kid or two on a pony doing basic stuff like standing up etc. you should be alright :)

Julia
x

I've just read the other thread saying he's not even 13hh:eek: Dear god, not wonder he doesn't want to canter with two people on him:mad:

I thought he was about 14.2ish but at 12.2hh it's just cruel to expect him to carry two rider regardless of how lightweight they are!

I wouldn't personally try vaulting with more than one person on a pony that height. Induvidually, he would be fine, I use Ellie and Timmie who are 11.2hh and 12hh, but theres only me on them. If I was doing it with a friend, which we don't do often, we use a 16hh mare, or occasionally a 14.2hh cob. Try to get a bigger pony, it will be easier and more comfortable for everyone, and you could always have the small ones doing induvidual work on the little one, then use a bigger one for group work.

Pink's lady- i never said anthing about two people on him..i'd never do that to the little fella...i meant two people to get him going as in the lunger and the person on top gining a bit of a push along..and the riders arn't more than 8st each..we all just wanted to have a little go at the basic things (indervidual) for fun...not compete

I'll try to explain things better next time...i'm not very good with words!

Thanx everyone...i'm meeting with the others this friday to practise...our otherhorse we used for two weeks(when we started) is sick from girth galls(had them when we got her given to us) so they'll be happy to know we can still do it!

newrider.com