Vaulting on

Rodeo_Princess

Nov 17, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Hi! Does anyone here know how I can learn to vault onto my horse? I've been wanting to for ages, and I have tried, but it's really hard! My horse is 14.2 hh, and I'm average height 13yr old. I can vault onto gates, but not onto my horse!

:D :) :D :) :D

D'you mean that maneuver where you stand facing the horse's hindquarters, left hand on the withers, and kick your right leg up and over? I've seen my barn owner's daughter do it, but I can't imagine how it's actually accomplished. Probably one needs a dead calm horse, youth, and coordination (and no fear of plummeting facedown the offside).

Seriously, though, GaWaNi PonyBoy's book, Horse Follow Closely, has a pretty good description with pictures of how to do it.

I'm happy if I can manage to land on the horse using stirrups and a mounting block.:D

Last edited:
Originally posted by Peace

I'm happy if I can manage to land on the horse using stirrups and a mounting block.:D

me too! me too! lol I remember once I was getting on Sheree, and she started to walk off, and I just went right over the top of her and landed on the ground on the other side! I was SO embarassed!!! *blush*

As for how to vault on, I have no idea! lol I don't have the physique to even try doing that! and honestly, I don't think Milly was appreciate it! She's a very flighty pony :)

Good luck though :) There's a girl at our stable called Shae and she can vault onto her 15.3hh quarterhorse, and Shae is 13 and of average height and build. :)

Let us know how you go, k?

Love,
Alex

Vaulting is heaps fun, we used to do it at Pony club, cos you have to be reallly fast and getting on when you're doing mounted games.
The easiest way to learn vaulting is at trot.
Run along side the horse, matching its stride with your own.
Hold the reins in the hand fathest from the horse, about 1/4 of the way up the neck with a chuck of mane.
Place the other hand on the front of the pomel, fingers down the far side.
Once you've got in stride with the horse, watch its legs.
Just before the front leg closest to you hits the ground, jump, putting your weight into your hands.
If you time it right, you will land on the ground as the front leg closest hits the ground and pushes. This will give you momentum to go upwards into the saddle.
Swing your leg up and over, and hopefully you'll make it.
If you don't get it right the first time don't worry, it takes practise.
Heights doesn't really come into it, so long as you time it right, pretty much anyong can vault onto any size horse or pony :)
Im just 5'0" and i can vault onto my friends 16.2hh horse.

I used to do it as a teen with my paint mare. She was very calm and I could even do the old "cowboy mount" from the rear.

As I recall, I found it was easiest to start with a handful of mane well forward of the front legs and take a little hop first. If your horse won't stand still though you better have someone hold it or you'll end up underneath. :eek:

Once you can hop on at a stand still, going at a walk or even a trot is easy.

Good luck!!

newrider.com