Vegetables anybody?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
My peas are just sprouting!lol, hurrah! Mr T's broad beans are also popping up - how yummy they will be. Anybody else growing stuff this year? DS - what happened with the butternut?
I am going to cover ours soon though - the lambs have a habit of sneaking in and trampling my veggies so need to put some mesh on for protection!

I'm growing courgettes, onions, lettuce, peppers, beetroot and tomatoes.
MY courgettes, are a good few inches high now but slugs keep attacking them, my onions have sprouted and have been repotted into large pots. My lettuce has sprouted and is starting to grow, same with my beetroot.
No sign of the tomatoes yet but the peppers are coming along as they now have shoots.
Also growing corriander, chives, mustard, cress and rosemary.

Oooh, are courgettes easy to do? I really like them in stir fries - and Quorn dishes. Might have a go at some of those.

So far they seem the easiest, I planted tem a few weeks ago, gave them a water and left them to it pretty much, about 5 days after planting they had already sprouted and seem to be growing liike weeds!

Any ideas on how to keep slugs away? I can't use poisons or anything because of the tortoises, so far they are surronded by eggshells and get sprayed with a garlic spray twice a day but they are still eatting the damn things!

Oooh - I thought you were doing your "strange shapes in the school" thread again! Do you still do those?

After not growing anything last year I was all for doing some this year, but have the grand total of one tomato plant - heart's not in it I fear!

Yup.... plenty of veggies starting to mature and the fruit cage is growing well. We're allowed to help ourselves :smile:

All my veggies have gone to seed or been eaten by birds and slugs because I have been too busy to look after them :redcarded:.

Trews, coffee grounds are great for keeping slugs away organically!

You can set beer traps as well for the slugs - but I guess its a bit mean as they drown in cheap lager..... I used that method one year when I grew sunflowers - they adore them and it was a choice of beer traps or go out at midnight picking them off by hand.....!

Oooh - I thought you were doing your "strange shapes in the school" thread again! Do you still do those?

After not growing anything last year I was all for doing some this year, but have the grand total of one tomato plant - heart's not in it I fear!

Lol yeah!!! Lay central heating pipes too (well you have to be imaginative when you are alone!!)

I use coffee grounds and that seems to keep the slugs away.. I did sometimes go out in the dark with a pot of salt :ninja: so this is probably better for them!

Only got tomatoes in this year, my mum forgot that I wanted some courgette so they are all planted at her house, oh and the rocket is just sprouting so that will be ready to start munching soon!

Nothing is happening with the raspberry sticks, I think they might be dead?

The infamous butternut squashes are still going, still not in the garden yet, must do that this coming weekend. They've started to flower (well the buds are getting bigger), and are leaning towards the ground, desperate for space to dig their roots into.

I've put some green netting over the peas and beans - the wee lonk lambs (bless!!!) have still managed to sneak under my fence and attack them!! Mr T does not share my love of them when they have effectively trampled his veggies and then pooed on top for good measure...............

my poly tunnel blew away in the storms last year so I am growing about 50 chilli plants from seed this year on the window sills.
Have many fiery varieties.
Getting plagued by aphids. Any suggestions to get rid. Been spraying them but it aint working!

A couple of pics of the kitchen garden area of the grounds that Dom tends as his job...

The vegetable garden is looking a bit sparse to be honest. Dom has been busy doing groundworks and building a new poly-tunnel (as in pic) He's also been busy creating some new beds as there is some work going on here that has taken up some space of the old veg beds....

10thJune2012013.jpg

(for the record, if you see the "battlements" poking up behind the wall down by the poly-tunnel, that's our little courtyard garden outside the back door of our coach house, so that's how close Dom is to work!!

In that poly-tunnel are lots of different varieties of tomatoes and usually there are cucumbers, melons and sweet peppers too (probs in there somewhere!)....
IMG-20120620-01233.jpg

Immature broad beans...
10thJune2012012.jpg

But LOTS of broad bean plants....
10thJune2012011.jpg

And artichokes (if you like 'em
puke.gif
)
10thJune2012010.jpg

Dom's new "beds".....
10thJune2012009.jpg

10thJune2012008.jpg

A couple of rubbish pictures of the strawberries and raspberries in the fruit cage, which show feck-all in the cage but are brilliant shots of the chicken wire!!!
giggle.gif

10thJune2012007.jpg

10thJune2012006.jpg

And home sweet home :tongue:
10thJune2012003.jpg

We had new potatoes for tea last night... dug, washed, cooked and eaten within the hour... yummm...

Last edited:
my poly tunnel blew away in the storms last year so I am growing about 50 chilli plants from seed this year on the window sills.
Getting plagued by aphids. Any suggestions to get rid. Been spraying them but it aint working!

Following the advice of my mum I have marigolds in with the tomatoes to keep something away.. I think she said aphids.. :unsure: That's some pretty useless advice sorry! Think that garlic can also help!

What are you spraying with? I use a mild soap mixed with warm water in an empty spray bottle thingy. It did quite well last summer. I am also growing chillis in pots this time in the windows - OH has demanded some! I like Thai Green dragon variety - but haven't seen those, I've got a new type this summer, can't just remember what they're called though.

Just a chemical spray as it was such a bad infestation. Always goes for the young plants.
I am growing:

basket of fire
joe's long
demon red
rokita
bulgarian carrot
chilli pyramid

got load so if anyone wants a plug to grow on just ask

My vegetable status is as follows:

Onions – doing really well.
Potatoes (in pots) – doing OK, some leafs been eaten by slugs
Raspberries – second year in. Very green so hoping that they will flower soon
Strawberries – had a couple of bowls so far this year. My 2 year old son keeps picking the green ones.
Sweet corn – half the plants died, now have about 9 left
Tomatoes (in hanging basket) – doing well
Carrots (in pots) – almost ready to pick
Cabbage – only one plant growing (out of a whole packet sown)
Climbing beans – were doing well but seem to be dying off
Peas – have a couple of plants which are just starting to flower. The rest are struggling to get past an inch high before they die off.

newrider.com