Venting----I CANT BELEIVE IT!!!

Lindsey_S

Sam's Mom
Nov 7, 2005
USA
Okay....Here goes nothing..............

I CANT BELIEVE SOME PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

At a stable I visited recently, a woman was riding a yearling
He was one year and two months old. The gaps in his knees were still wide open (I could stick my fingers in them) the poor colt has developed a bad temper because he is never allowed to be a horse. ie- go roll in a field or just grow up. He was being ridden in a roping saddle, in rowled spurs (yes I know spurs can be used judiciously but NOW???) and a ::Gasp:: Tom Thumb. (After reading threads on NR, my horse was immediately taken out of his). He is walking, jogging and loping in a western pleasure headset (poll level with withers). ARGHHHHH:mad:

I cant understand how people can be so ignorant!!! This horse will probably go crippled by the time he turns three, if not before.

All of this happened because she wants to be ready for the two year old futuritys next year. If you ask me, these should be called no-futurities. Why do people do this???:(

What is a futurity?

That is downright cruelty. She should be reported to a welfare agency. Or better yet, crippled in the same way the poor horse will be. :mad:

That's awful, she could start the horse at 2 at least and make it in the futurity! My gosh, just for the chance at 85,000, and the horse won't make it to three I bet!

Tom Thumb don't get that either we have a horse called tom thumb but doubt that's what you are on about lol :D

we have a futurity section for arabs, but never ridden,if a colt shows promise he is shown in hand until five years then goes for a grading or his 100 NASTA performance test!!! How can you possibly justify riding a yearling?

A tom thumb in this instance is a harsh bit, and definately not one that should be used on a newly broken horse, nevermind a 1yo :mad:

Futurity is a SICK practice... it is a total lack of Futurity..

The fact that there is a REINING futurity is apalling!! These people train these horses up win some money as a two year old and then sell them for big bucks to people who don't know any better.. all the while funding allowing thier TRUE competion horses to grow up to become actual reining champions.

For you brits.. Futurity classes are classes for 2 and 3 year olds. These horses are being bred specificaly for those classes, broken early pushed hard and then sold. (they can be halter, western pleasure, reining, cutting etc.) It is BIG money in western circles and obsecenly common. In quarter horses you will actually see babies bred to be show quality AT 2 when they pass two they often grow up funky.. but who cares the stallion bred futurity champions!!

Lindsey_S said:
Okay....Here goes nothing..............

I CANT BELIEVE SOME PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

At a stable I visited recently, a woman was riding a yearling
He was one year and two months old. The gaps in his knees were still wide open (I could stick my fingers in them) the poor colt has developed a bad temper because he is never allowed to be a horse. ie- go roll in a field or just grow up. He was being ridden in a roping saddle, in rowled spurs (yes I know spurs can be used judiciously but NOW???) and a ::Gasp:: Tom Thumb. (After reading threads on NR, my horse was immediately taken out of his). He is walking, jogging and loping in a western pleasure headset (poll level with withers). ARGHHHHH:mad:

I cant understand how people can be so ignorant!!! This horse will probably go crippled by the time he turns three, if not before.

All of this happened because she wants to be ready for the two year old futuritys next year. If you ask me, these should be called no-futurities. Why do people do this???:(

I sincerely hope you have reported this person to an animal cruelty association. This is disgraceful. :eek:

my mum has just read this, and she is disgusted that someone puts money before the horses welfare, my friend across the road has a quarter horse who was broken the day after her fourth birthday,and a week later she was placed in a novice class at the local western association show. Our western groups will not accept entries for ridden classes if a horse is under four years if age.

How horrible. That poor horse'll likely become crippled because of that woman's greed. It's disgusting the ideas some people have about using horses like tools for their own profit.

newrider.com